GC Manager - Gulf Coast - #19504011
SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 89,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,600 offices and laboratories around the world.
Manager GC personnel and provide GC support for the laboratory. Coordinate and identify GC instrument needs, purchases, set up, method development, and manage the implementation in the facility. Conduct evaluation and risk audits as needed to maintain and ensure operating efficiency of the GC and personnel.
- Provide assistance to clients in explaining GC analysis, communication with clients on a regular basis and provide excellent customer service
- Assume responsibility for authenticity for Laboratory Certificates of Analysis.
- Receive orders from clients on submitted samples and provide quotes; follow up on job progress and reports status to clients.
- Provide recommendations to the Laboratory Manager on upgrading laboratory efficiency and productivity.
- Maintain work flow of department work benches, keeping an overall review of what customer samples are coming in and going out of the lab, prioritizing the work as needed along with the shift supervisor.
- Evaluate and identify GC’c for replacement. Formulate a plan of action and make the necessary purchases.
- Set up develop and commission GC / GCMS instruments with the assistance of local lab management.
- Method Development -SOPs, method implementation.
- Update lab on changes to requirements and advise management on changes to methods, business and regulations. Facilitate changes to our systems and ensure compliance.
- Risk assessment and evaluation of GC instrumentation through technical audits. Ensure upgrade of equipment and optimum equipment utilization throughout the laboratory network
- Troubleshooting GC issues, helping where needed by way of travel or utilization of VPN
- Maintain a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a manner so that you get along with clients, customers, co-workers and management.
- Ensure business lines Quality Protocols are implemented and maintained.
- Provide Technical staff with instrument details, reporting requirements, advanced configuration and development requirements.
- Ensure all staff understands the methods and is trained to full compliance
- Responsible for giving technical advice for personnel as well as clients
- Participate in local marketing efforts.
- Assure compliance with Laboratory Q.A. Manual and Safety Manual.
- Able to identify emerging shifts in the industry through the review of competitive analysis coupled with the ability to make sound suggestions or recommendations to maintain competitive.
- This position may directly or indirectly manage or supervise employees and will be responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of these individuals. Executes responsibilities in accordance with applicable laws and the organization's policies which include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in a science and/or equivalent experience in GC related fields. Must have a minimum of ten (10) years of GC and managing staff experience.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and negotiating skills with the ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from individuals and/or groups both within the organization or while representing the organization.
- Must be able to travel to various parts of the country, if needed. Must be able to work unsupervised independently regularly and predictably. Must be able to direct numerous activities at once, be able to work effectively under pressure.
- Demonstrated ability to interact as a leader in a team-building environment with a wide variety of individuals from diverse disciplines, cultures and experience.
- Must be available on-call which can include, week-ends and holidays.
- Excellent knowledge in Microsoft Office Suite (MS Word, Excel, Power Point, etc.) and other office applications.
The requirements listed above are not meant to be an exhaustive list of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required for this position.
This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of essential functions, duties, responsibilities or requirements, but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts the company’s rights to assign, change or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
All offers are contingent upon the receipt of a satisfactory background check and the passing of a pre-employment physical with alcohol and drug screening.
SGS is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a drug free environment.
SGS is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such we recruit, hire, train, and promote persons in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristics protected by law.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements, but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts the company’s rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
If you are applying for a position within the United States and you have difficulty completing the on-line employment application because of a disability, please call 201-508-3149 for assistance and leave a message. You will receive a call back. Please note, this phone number is not for general employment information, but is only for individuals who are experiencing difficulty applying for a position due to a disability.