Advance Care Planning Specialist- 72 hr/pp - #19504025
Bronson Battle Creek
A career with Bronson opens up new worlds. Cutting-edge technologies, clinical expertise and business innovations combined with individual human care and compassion are all a part of the experience.
BMH Bronson Methodist Hospital
Advance Care Planning Specialist- 72 hr/pp
Responsible for planning, implementing, and evaluating the advance care planning program activities in order to educate community agencies, physicians, other health care providers, and the general public as to the programs and services provided through advance care planning. Employees providing direct patient care must demonstrate competencies specific to the population served.
Bachelor's degree in public relations, marketing, healthcare administration, or similar field and 2 years work experience in healthcare required.
Master's degree in related field preferred.
- Experience in ethics, palliative care or end of life care and/or advanced care planning preferred.
- Access to reliable transportation.
- Ability to understand regulations concerning fair and ethical healthcare practices.
- Ability to work independently, demonstrating problem solving and organizational skills.
- Ability to work under pressure of deadlines, changes in schedules, and office routine.
- Knowledge of how to use basic office equipment (i.e. computer, fax, copier, printer, etc.)
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Organizational skills require working independently and prioritizing a variety of responsibilities.
- Ability to respond to multiple demands in a short time frame.
- Must follow Bronson Health System's blood borne pathogen and TB testing as required.
- Bronson Health System is a technology driven organization and employees need to demonstrate competency in Microsoft® Windows. An employee may be required to participate in further learning opportunities offered by Bronson Health System.
- Ability to speak before groups with and without preparation and communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Ability to recognize needs and concerns of people and maintain constructive interpersonal relationships.
- Must be able to communicate verbally in person, on the phone and in writing.
Work which produces high levels of mental/visual fatigue, e.g., interactive and repetitive or small detailed work requiring alertness and concentration for sustained periods of time, the operation of and full attention to a personal computer or CRT between 40 and 70 percent of the time.
The job produces some physical demands. Typical of jobs that include regular walking, standing, stooping, bending, sitting, and some lifting of light weight objects.
- Responsible for advance care planning program development. Determines appropriate budgetary goals and objectives for Bronson Health System's Planning program. In collaboration with selected model's staff develops, writes, and implements goals and objectives to maintain the highest standards for advance care planning.
- Coordinates Advance Care Planning counseling schedules, including organizing dates and facilitator attendance, making appropriate referrals and follow up, development of documentation for the medical record and assists other departments in the development of appropriate storage and retrieval systems.
- Provides education to patients/families about advance care planning. Acts as patient advocate or liaison between patient, family and healthcare providers to ensure appropriate and timely inpatient, outpatient and home patient utilization of advance care planning services. Consults with patients/families upon referral for advance care planning.
- Coordinates advance care planning activities within the community. Facilitates focus groups derived from religious, legal, healthcare provider and community members related to barriers to implementation of patient's advanced directives.
- Completes required educational components for Train the Trainer certification for advance care planning program.
- Assist Bronson Foundation office in writing grants to fund ACP activities and maintaining financial records for grant auditors.
- Coordinates various advance care planning research projects. Facilitates and maintains accurate data collection and record keeping for yearly statistics.
- Conducts performance improvement activities to continually evaluate quality outcomes related to advance care planning. Provide evaluation and outcomes-based measurement on implementation and utilization of patients' advance directives.
- Represents Bronson in regular and organized contacts with the public through exhibits, personal contacts and educational presentations to professional and community referral sources.
- Designs and implements educational programs for health professionals to improve advance care planning facilitation skills. Orders necessary supplies for facilitator training and continuing education using the selected model. Plans, develops and participates in professional conferences.
- Communicates changes in statutory requirements regarding advance care planning and advance directives.
- Collaborates with partnered SNFs, extended care facilities, assisted living organizations and adult foster care homes to facilitate their advance care planning role and their use of POLST and DNR forms.
- Collaborates with EMS to facilitate wider use of POLST and OOH DNR/MI-POST.
- Collaborate with the faith community to facilitate advance care planning.
- Collaborates with physician offices/staff to facilitate their advance care planning.
- Assists with the development and implementation of organizational systems that support advance care planning objectives.
- Other duties as assigned.
Scheduled Weekly Hours
2620 Advanced Illness Management (BMH)
Please take a moment to watch a brief video highlighting employment with Bronson!