Peer Mentor/Tutor - #19504070
Metropolitan State University of Denver
Posting Number S00053 Position Title Peer Mentor/Tutor Position Number Student Hourly or Student Work-Study Hourly Wage
Employee Category Student Department TRIO Student Support Services Location Student Engagement and Wellness Position Summary
TRiO Peer Mentor/Tutor Position –TRiO SSS programs are 100% federally funded and serve low income students, first-generation-to-college students, and/or college students with disabilities. The candidate must be available to work 10 to 15 hours per week during the semester and a portion of the semester break, and be available on Friday mornings for required staff training and meetings. This position requires a high level of personal responsibility and commitment to working with peers in attaining academic success.
This position will be responsible for a wide variety of operational tasks for the SSS program. These include meeting with college students; serving as case managers for SSS participants; offering peer advising to students including help with study skills, time management, communication with professors, and referrals to on-campus resources; tutoring participants; performing data entry; composing workshops for student participants; communicating via email and phone with participants; recording/updating/maintaining participant information; participating in and assisting professional staff with special projects; and other duties as assigned.
- Be a degree seeking student currently enrolled at MSU Denver.
- Have completed at least 45 or more credit hours.
- Have completed one full semester at MSU Denver.
- Maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00.
- Commit to working for TRiO SSS for at least one year.
- Be knowledgeable in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Possess empathy and understanding, as well as demonstrate a commitment to working with diverse populations, including low-income students, first-generation-to-college students, students with disabilities, and English language learners.
- Must be dependable, punctual, detail-oriented, resourceful, flexible, organized, a willing learner, personable, and professional.
- Must have a broad-based understanding of MSU Denver's honor code, various campus resources, available services, and departments.
- Have strong written and oral communication skills, including acute listening and solid interpersonal skills.
- Have completed:
○ ENG 1010 and 1020 with an A or B (if the applicant wants to tutor writing), OR
○ Have completed Calculus 1 with an A or B (if the applicant wants to tutor math) OR
○ Have completed significant coursework in any other topic with As and Bs earned.
Preferred Qualifications Posting date 12/03/2020 Closing date Closing Instructions Close on Closing Date Special Instructions to Applicants Work Hours Flexible
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Class Schedule
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- What subjects/courses are you interested in tutoring?
(Open Ended Question)
- Are you fluent in any languages other than English?
(Open Ended Question)