Director Data Protection - #19504075
Marriott Vacations Worldwide
Are you ready to grow your dream career while making others' vacation dreams come true? Marriott Vacations Worldwide is a world premier organization for Vacation Ownership with resorts at destinations around the globe. Join our team and help deliver unforgettable experiences that make vacation dreams come true.
Position can be based in Miami, Orlando or Lakeland
Generic Position Summary
As a member of the professional staff, contributes a high level of specialized knowledge and skill in a discipline (e.g. Accounting, Finance, Human Resources, Information Technology, Operations Planning & Support, Sales & Marketing) area to support department and/or function objectives. Generally works with considerable independence, developing operating plans and related operational processes for own department and monitoring the flow of work between own department and others in alignment with broader business objectives, selecting and developing effective managers and work teams, and managing own organization through reliable systems and processes.
Specific Job Summary
- Directs the activities of the Data Protection team functions consisting of:
- Provides support for the correction and repair of Storage/Backup software/hardware incidents, improves system performance, responds to system alerts restoring operations to normal functionality, responds to and corrects issues reported as incident tickets.
- Performs regular patch management of Data Protection infrastructure.
Restores faulting systems to operational readiness.
- Reports directly to the VP of Infrastructure & Operations.
CLS Generic Expected Contributions
- Develops operating plans and workable business processes for own department in alignment with function strategy.
- Manages larger business processes and/or projects, setting priorities and measurable objectives, monitoring and reporting on the process, progress and results. Typically influences work of cross-functional or extended teams.
- Responds to, solves and makes decisions on business requests that have broader department impact and/or moderate risk. Presents alternative solutions to business issues by leveraging the broader organization.
- Works to enhance the organization's capabilities through effective staffing and development of others by:
- anticipating staffing requirements by comparing business needs with strengths and weaknesses of existing staff.
- using appropriate MVW interviewing tools to hire the best managers available from inside or outside.
- setting and maintaining high standards for team and individual performance.
- providing timely coaching and feedback.
making and rewarding distinctions in performance.
- Assists more senior associates in achieving business results by:
- acting in a consultative fashion to implement programs impacting the broader organization.
- assisting in the development and communication of broader organizational goals.
- achieving results against budget within scope of responsibility.
- taking calculated risks to move the department or team forward.
- developing and using systems to organize and keep track of information.
- balancing the interests of own group with the interests of the organization.
working with others to identify and remove barriers to success.
- Readily critiques own behavior to acknowledge mistakes and improve future leadership performance and acts independently to improve and increase skills and knowledge.
- Performs other duties as appropriate.
Specific Expected Contributions
This position is responsible for leading the Data Protection team in infrastructure design, engineering, build and delivery. This individual manages resources and processes to deliver high quality technology projects and initiatives for MVW. This position is responsible to collaborate with both the IT and business organizations with a high sense of urgency and a focus on excellence and results.
- Manages vendor relationships, participates in vendor selection for both products, and services, contributes to the establishment of new contracts.
- Analyzes and recommends new technologies that will reduce costs, improve quality, or improve reliability.
- Ensures Vendors meet commitments and contractual agreements.
- Conducts regular vendor reviews.
- Provides asset management of Data Protection equipment.
- Ensures Audit information, requirements, and compliance are met.
- Ensures servers, storage, and network components are operational and performing as designed by Data Protection
- Provides technical leadership and direction for these functions.
- Solves highly complex technical issues.
- Defines, recommends and drives process improvements.
- Defines, recommends and drives technology improvements.
- Identifies cost saving opportunities.
- Directs and manages the daily activities of highly technical individuals.
- Develops and sets operational performance levels within the functions of this role.
- Ensures all Data Protection Change, Release, Incident, Problem, Security, and Configuration Management processes, policies, operating plans, and mandates are followed.
- Ensure team members have necessary tools and information to complete work by effective dissemination of MVW, IT, and Technical Services Administration information, strategies, and goals.
- Ultimately responsible for performing continuous improvement analysis activities as it relates to the team and support requirements, ensuring effective improvements on the team and in the environment, focusing on strategy/goal/scope alignment, on-going maintenance programs, budget restraints, incident avoidance, timeline management, and KPIs. Provide and perform reporting functions on success and areas in need of improvement.
- Directs, facilitates, and advise on advanced root-cause analysis for related incidents, problems, and enterprise improvements/integrations. Perform this function outside team as assigned.
- Perform day-to-day management tasks and serves as the management escalation point for the team, including after-hours support issues. This includes, but not limited to, all definitions of goal setting, goal and task follow-up for completion, conflict resolution, fostering relationships, LPPs, and work planning.
- Liaise with external parties on matters relating to networking/hardware/systems/e-mail technology.
- Shares knowledge, develops training plans, and help with career planning to ensure a well-trained and qualified staff.
- Act as the SPOC for the team in security vulnerabilities and risk assessments.
- Continually increases knowledge of supported technologies to support management role, provide technical guidance, and perform advanced problem resolution.
CLS Generic Candidate Profile
Successful candidates should possess knowledge and experience and demonstrate strong leadership and relationship skills as follows:
Generally a professional position requiring significant knowledge and experience in one or more disciplines and/or business operations as well as associate management experience. College degree and/or relevant experience generally required.
Specific Candidate Profile
- BS/BA in computer engineering or related field, or technical certification and equivalent work experience
- Requires 8-10+ years' work experience leading Data Protection.
- Requires 8-10+ years of IT management experience
- Requires 8+ years working with storage hardware, virtual technology, and operating systems
- Technical Infrastructure
- Technical Specialization
- Technical Integration
- Customer Service Orientation
- Global Orientation
- Project Management
- Analytical Ability
- Problem Definition and Resolution
- Communications (Listening, Persuasiveness, Oral, Written)
- Leadership (Impact, Involvement, Change Management)
- People (Team Orientation, Judgment, Interpersonal Relations, Results/Goal Orientation, Resiliency/Adaptability)
- Must have experience directing an IT team which includes providing guidance, setting goals, managing work queues and delegation, measuring quality and performance, and providing for continuous improvement processes.
- Must have proven ability (with past experiences) to deliver and support, storage/backup hardware and systems serving businesses on a global scale with automation and streamlined operational procedures.
- Experience with planning, release, and configuration management techniques, focusing on build automation and scripting using tools is a plus.
- Exposure to data gathering, KPIs, and strategic management topics is a plus.
- Must have significant experience working with Windows and Linux client operating systems.
- Must have significant experience managing outsourced vendors.
- Must have significant operating knowledge of Data Protection technology product offerings.
- ITIL2 certified preferred and must have experience working in an ITIL based organization.
- Strong experience in best practices for system hardening, securing a Data Protection environment, and aligning to audit controls for PCI, SBO, etc.
- Significant operational exposure to industry standard data center support tools.
- Excellent Verbal and written communication.
- Must have the ability to perform project management duties if required.
Marriott Vacations Worldwide is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture.