Clinical Documentation Improvement Specialist - Henderson, NV - #19504161
UnitedHealth Group Inc.
Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that's improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about making health care data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There's no room for error. Join us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
The Clinical Documentation Integrity Specialist - (CDS) is responsible for providing CDI program oversight and day to day CDI implementation of processes related to the concurrent review of the clinical documentation in the inpatient medical record of Optum 360 clients' patients. The goal of the CDS oversight and practice is to assess the technical accuracy, specificity, and completeness of provider clinical documentation, and to ensure that the documentation explicitly identifies all clinical findings and conditions present at the time of service.
This position collaborates with providers and other healthcare team members to make improvements that result in accurate, comprehensive documentation that reflects completely, the clinical treatment, decisions, and diagnoses for the patient. The CDS utilizes clinical expertise and clinical documentation improvement practices as well as facility specific tools for best practice and compliance with the mission/philosophy, standards, goals and core values of Optum 360.
In this position the CDS will utilize the Optum™ CDI 3D technology that is assisting hospitals to improve data quality to accurately reflect the quality of care provided and ensure revenue integrity. Our three-dimensional approach to CDI technology, paired with best-practice adoption methodology and change management support, is helping hospitals make a real impact on CDI efficiency and effectiveness by increasing identification of cases with CDI opportunities, with automated review of 100% of records and improved tracking, transparency and reporting related to CDI impact, revenue capture, trending and compliance.
This position does not have patient care duties, does not have direct patient interactions, and has no role relative to patient care.
Provide expert level review of inpatient clinical records within 24-48 hours of admit; identifies gaps in clinical documentation that need clarification for accurate code assignment to ensure the documentation accurately reflects the severity of the condition and acuity of care provided
- Conduct daily follow-up communication with providers regarding existing clarifications to obtain needed documentation specificity
- Provide expert level leadership for overall improvement in clinical documentation by providing proficient level review and assessment, and effectively articulating recommendations for improvement, and the rational for the recommendations
- Actively communicate with providers at all levels, to clarify information and to communicate documentation requirements for appropriate diagnoses based on severity of illness and risk of mortality
- Perform regular rounding with unit-based physicians and provides Working DRG lists to Care Coordination
- Provide face-to-face educational opportunities with physicians on a daily basis. Provides complete follow through on all requests for clarification or recommendations for improvement
- Lead the development and execution of physician education strategies resulting in improved clinical documentation
- Provide timely feedback to providers regarding clinical documentation opportunities for improvement and successes
- Ensure effective utilization of Midas or Optum® CDI 3D Technology to document all verbal, written, electronic clarification activity
- Utilize only the Optum360 approved clarification forms
- Proactively develop a reciprocal relationship with the HIM Coding Professionals
- Coordinate and conduct regular meeting with HIM Coding Professionals to reconsolidate DRGs, monitor retrospective query rates and discuss questions related to Coding and CDI
- Engage and consult with Physician Advisor /VPMA when needed, per the escalation process, to resolve provider issues regarding answering clarifications and participation in the clinical documentation improvement process
- Actively engages with Care Coordination and the Quality Management teams to continually evaluate and spearhead clinical documentation improvement opportunities
You'll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
Education in Nursing with a board approved nursing program with a passing score on the National Council Licensure Exam (NCLEX) or State Board Test Pool Exam (SBTPE) with 2+ years of acute care experience OR…
Current RN license in any state with at least 2+ years of acute care experience OR…
Medical School Graduate with at least one year of CDI experience OR…
RHIT or RHIA with a CCS with at least 2+ years of inpatient coding experience
Experience communicating & working closely with Physicians
Basic proficiency using a PC in a Windows environment, including Microsoft Word, Excel, and Electronic Medical Records
You will be asked to perform this role in an office setting or other company location, however, may be required to work from home temporarily due to space limitations
- Employees are required to screen for symptoms using the ProtectWell mobile app, Interactive Voice Response (i.e., entering your symptoms via phone system) or a similar UnitedHealth Group-approved symptom screener prior to entering the work site each day, in order to keep our work sites safe. Employees must comply with any state and local masking orders. In addition, when in a UnitedHealth Group building, employees are expected to wear a mask in areas where physical distancing cannot be attained
Current certification as a CCDS, CDIP or CCS
Previous experience as a Clinical Documentation Integrity Specialist
Previous experience in case management and / or critical care
- Excellent verbal and written skills including strong organizational skills
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Keywords: CDI, clinical, documentation improvement, Nevada, Henderson, NV