Bindery Operator - #19504165
RR Donnelley & Sons
Las Vegas, NV
- ID: 48862
- Set up, adjust and operate a variety of auxiliary binding machines containing several cutting heads, control surfaces or other attachments
(i.e. inkjet and mailing devices, case making & decorating equipment, folders, cutters, collators, stitchers, drills, binding/gluing machines and/or set up automatic bindery machines containing multiple functions and station capabilities (power paper cutters, power collators and gatherers, power folders, power speed binder) which can be electromechanically combined with other equipment and devices to produce a complete bindery and finishing unit that processes printed sheets into final books, catalogs, manuals, directories, magazines or other completed products.
- Inspect equipment for safety issues.
- May operate automatic adhesive binding machines (perfect binders) that contain numerous interrelated process stations that are fed collated sheets or signatures and perform such functions as vibrating, milling, roughening, gluing, covering and delivering or stacking completed books, magazines or catalogs.
- Make needed adjustments to coordinate the multiple work stations on a single machine.
- Direct crew through all aspects of production.
- Monitor quality, output and productivity.
RRD is an EEO/AA including Vets and Disabled Employer
- General knowledge of the more complex bindery machines (i.e. fully automatic binding machines (perfect binders), multiple station collators and multiple folding units, either individually or combined) to perform the full range of standard and specialized folds of printed materials.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in the industry operating different bindery equipment.
- Thorough knowledge of the set up, operating requirements, procedures, capabilities and limitations of one or more bindery machines to perform the full range of standard and specialized folding, collating and cutting of printed materials to complete a combined finishing product.
- Ability to read and interpret written work orders or other job specifications containing bindery requirements which indicate the number and sequence of machine operations required to complete the work and to maintain dimensional accuracy in accordance with instructions provided; independently makes decisions on the type of equipment to be used.
- Knowledge of the quality and machining requirements of various coated and uncoated types of paper stock.
- Skill in setting up and adjusting machines for finishing operations and to refine such adjustments for the weight, color, machinability and quality of paper stock being used and to prevent machining impressions on the printed materials.
- Must be able to calculate distances, clearances, and fits in combining machines.
- Skill in using the full range of standard and specialized tools and devices to adjust and maintain the functional accuracy and operating conditions of the bindery machines.