Food & Beverage Server - American Queen Steamboat Company - #19504196
NOW GATHERING APPLICATIONS FOR AQSC 2021 SEASON START UPS
In addition to the application process please copy and paste the link below into a separate browser window for consideration.
The Food & Beverage Server is primarily responsible for serving and catering to the needs and service of guests throughout various parts of the food and beverage department. Duties and tasks are assigned by the Food & Beverage Manager but can include: beverage service, dining and bar prep work, table, lounge, showroom or buffet service, taking and delivering food orders and/or assisting other department employees with their service.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Perform all work in a safe manner and follow all safety rules
- Maintain high level of sanitation and cleanliness in all dining areas
- Attend all daily line-up meetings and various department meetings
- Adhere to the order of service as designated by the Food & Beverage Manager
- Establish a good working attitude and is cooperative with all other department staff
- Ensure the proper set-up of all work stations
- Courteously and efficiently deliver, sells and/or serve food/beverage items to guests
- Relay orders to, as well as serve items from, kitchen and/or bar.
- Prior to service, do a walk through to ensure all tables and bar areas are clean and ready for service.
- Responsible for assisting in bar service and beverage sales in and outside the respective bar
- Provide descriptions, preparation methods, basic ingredients, common allergens of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages to guests
- Has understanding and recipe knowledge of all drinks and mixer is able to identify beverages consistently
- Holds a current ServSafe Alcohol Server certificate and constantly upholds policy regarding serving liquor. Upholds liquor-serving laws and never serves to minors or crewmembers
- Ensure that the brand ordered by the passenger is served unless unavailable; ensure that a suitable substitute is offered, suggests an upsell when applicable
- Offer proper menu, deliver beverages with the proper glass, napkin, coaster and garnitures for each drink
- Adhere to company policy for properly accounting of all alcoholic beverages being served collects signatures, as needed
- Responsible for maintaining all food service locations, bars, lounges and pantries for an efficient service to the passengers
- Maintain and cleans equipment, utensils, tools, as directed
- Maintain a sanitary work area, clean and free of clutter, especially with regard to company policy and Food and Drug Administration sanitation requirements. Work areas include dining room, alternative dining areas, lounges, theaters, self-service areas and bar areas
- Perform stores handling and loading of food stores and liquor orders onto vessel as directed on vessel turnover days
- Practice food safety procedures as directed by the Food & Beverage Manager
- Follows the Inventory Control and Food Storage Procedures without any prior notice
- Responsible for assisting with waste disposal
- Set-up and breakdown of private parties and special activities.
- Ensures all guests in all service areas (bar, cocktail, dining rooms) receive prompt and full service
- Cleans counters, buffets, tables, chairs and other as needed, sets tables and chairs in orderly positions and keeps the entire area clean and tidy at all times.
- Polish chafing dishes, silverware, glasses, mirrors and all else needing to be spot-free.
- Offers bread and beverage service to passengers in all dining areas
- Proper arrangement of dining room table and chairs, including proper condiments
- Expedite food from galley to wait staff in dining area and assist wait staff in delivering and serving
- Vacuum and clean all dining areas.
- Assist in gathering all dirty dishware and bring to the dish room for cleaning. Stacking and scraping if necessary.
- Assist in receiving food items and non-food supplies and storing them in the proper areas in accordance with the FIFO first in-first out) inventory method
- Fill station bill requirements and participate in drills with regard to guest safety.
- Promotes good business principles by never discussing company business in public areas with fellow crewmembers or passengers.
- Provide assistance to other crewmembers and departments to contribute to the best overall operation of the Company
- Ensure behavior and performance supports the company's Mission
- Follow company values in responding to others in work situations
- Meet "standards for service" behaviors
- Conveys any complaints from passengers to Food & Beverage Manager
- Use recovery steps to respond to others who are dissatisfied
- Make hospitality standards an important part of day-to-day duties
- Be a RESPECT Service System example for others
- All other duties as assigned by management
Minimum Qualifications & Requirements
- HS Diploma or Equivalent Required
- Professional Certification(s) or License:
- TABC Permit (Server Permit)
- Valid Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) – if applicable, and/or ability to obtain and maintain
- Copy of DD214, if Veteran status
- Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; must be fluent in English
- Ability to interact with individuals at all levels in a pleasant and professional manner
- Proficiency with MS Office applications and POS systems
- Must maintain a neat, clean and professional appearance
- Proficient (advanced preferred) knowledge of fine wine, wine programs/tastings/pairings
- At least 2 years of experience in position with similar duties and responsibilities
- Cruise industry experience preferred
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Submit to and pass alcohol and drug tests as mandated by the USCG including but not limited to pre-employment, random, reasonable suspicion and post-accident/incident testing.
The majority of work is performed in a Marine environment in both indoor and outdoor conditions with exposure to various temperatures and weather conditions, along with a moderate to loud noise level.
The Marine operation is subject to varied wake and motion.
Positions both live and work onboard a vessel, on a rotational basis for consecutive port-to-port voyages during the regular season.
- Ability to stand and walk on nearly a constant basis; ability to work long hours each day
- Ability to bend, rotate and reach frequently
- Ability to carry, push/pull and/or lift materials weighing upwards of 50 lbs
- Ascending/descending stairs or ladders safely
- Ability to manipulate/handle/grip materials required to perform job
- Ability to maneuver through/in/around small and/or confined areas within the vessel
- Must be able to maintain both static and dynamic standing balance to complete various duties associated with job
- Must be capable of performing emergency duties as listed in the vessel's station bill
- Crew bed/bunk equipment are rated for 250 lbs maximum weight capacity per bunk.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.