Senior Equity Research Analyst - #19504343
The Motley Fool
Who are we?
We are The Motley Fool, a purpose-driven financial services firm with nearly 30 years of expertise. Our goal is to make the world smarter, happier, and richer by providing outstanding business and investing advice, at scale. But what does that even mean?! It means we're helping Fools (always with a capital "F") demystify the world of finance, beat the stock market, and achieve personal wealth and happiness through our investing services, like Stock Advisor, and Motley Fool Wealth Management, our portfolio management service.
What would you do in this role?
In this role, you'll expand upon your investing experience, work alongside many of our company's greatest investors, and develop a business-focused, forward-thinking, and independent mindset. And you'll have the opportunity to contribute directly to providing insights and advice to our members.
You'll be responsible for researching companies, communicating your investing theses, covering company developments, providing clear and high-quality writing, generating high-quality investment ideas, and assisting our investment teams in delivering market-beating returns. You might even find yourself on video or one of our podcasts talking about Foolish business and investing.
But what does this role actually do?
- Research and cover existing service recommendations
- Source new investment ideas for our premium services
- Participate in ongoing idea conversations with various investment teams
- Learning, learning, and more learning alongside our US investors
- Maintain a portfolio of your highest conviction ideas (long and short) using our proprietary internal tools
- Write intelligent, accessible content in a Foolish tone for our premium members
- Periodically participate in videos, podcasts, and other multimedia events
- ...and anything else we need to do to bring the best possible Foolish investment advice to our members!
While we are looking for investors with some solid experience under their belt, investing is a life-long, learning adventure, so we'd expect you to continue developing in the following ways:
- Study great businesses, leaders, and investors to pick great stocks, build lasting portfolios, and share those insights with the world
- Understand and apply a variety of investing styles, including Foolish investing principles
- Build a multi-disciplinary approach to thinking about businesses and investing
- Build your own, personalized investing style
- Get out of your comfort zone, stretch your boundaries, fail, and get better
- Discover new ways to look at analysis and investing that challenge and improve your investing knowledge
What do you need to apply?
- A real passion for research and stock investing
- 3+ years of experience in equity research, investment banking, or a related field
- A private or public track record in stock-picking -- show us that you're passionate about companies and investing and keeping score.
- MBA, CFA, PhD … are all acronyms. We care much more about passion, skills, independent thinking and intellectual curiosity than pedigree.
- Understanding of the Fool ethos and our company mission
- Passion for investing Foolishly - studying and understanding great businesses (day traders need not apply)
- Ability to communicate complex ideas simply, synthesize financial and business aspects of a company and prepare an investment thesis
- Ability to see the investing forest and the trees
- Commitment to getting better at your investing craft
- Solid time-management skills
- Ability to work well in a collaborative team environment
- Good sense of humor
It's even better if you have…
- A track record of investing and communicating Foolishly
- Demonstrated knowledge of the principles of investing, including:
- An understanding of the competitive forces companies face
- A thorough grasp of economic and finance principles
- Various valuation methodologies
An interest in behavioral psychology
- Professional writing experience
- The desire to be a great communicator
The Motley Fool is firmly committed to diversity, inclusion, and equity. We are a motley group of overachievers that have built a culture of trust founded on Foolishness, fun, and a commitment to making the world smarter, happier and richer. However, you identify or whatever winding road has led you to us, please don't hesitate to apply if the description above leaves you thinking, "Hey! I could do that!"
The Motley Fool has been twice named Glassdoor's #1 Best Small Business to work for in the U.S., named to Inc.'s Best Workplaces of 2020, named one of BuiltIn's Best Places to Work in Colorado, and we're a perennial favorite on Washingtonian's list of Best Places to Work year after year. Below you'll see a few of our perks, but check out this site for the complete list:
- No "vacation policy" (not to be confused with a "No vacation" policy)
- Paid maternity, paternity, and pet-ernity leave
- $1,000 to invest when you start
- Super low premiums for medical, dental and vision coverage
- Comprehensive compensation package, including company equity