Investigative MSJ Reporter - #19528302
TEGNA/KIII 3News is looking for an Investigative Reporter! We want a great story teller who can not only focus on short-term and long-term investigative projects but can also proactively contribute investigative and general assignment content to daily and breaking news coverage. The ideal candidate should have a proven reputation as an ethical, trusted journalist who demonstrates strong research capabilities and skill using the latest tools and techniques to produce compelling investigative stories with impact.
Our ideal candidates have expert social media skills and demonstrate proficiency in using social media to gather information. These journalists are skilled in using the latest investigative tools and techniques to generate, shoot, and edit their content.
In this role, you will:
- Enterprise and develop investigative stories; Report on general assignment news of the day
- Dig into complex and important issues.
- Develop reliable sources and contacts in general and specialized areas of interest.
- Use open records laws and computer assisted reporting skills to find information and data that lend depth and context to your stories.
- Write in an exciting, captivating and authentic manner for multiple platforms.
- Help with production ideas for data content in on-air and online stories
- Use CAP and NICAR skills to find data and turn that into great stories.
- Help with production ideas for data content in on-air and online stories.
- Develop great sources and contacts.
- Dig into complex and important issues.
- Develop story ideas, write, shoot and edit news stories for on-air broadcasting.
- Write in an exciting, captivating and authentic manner.
- Use the latest editing and photography tools to tell great stories.
- Develop original content through social listening and independent sources.
- Deliver on-air news events in an engaging, exciting, and accurate manner.
- Interview news subjects and research for facts and credibility.
- Produce investigations that are unique and captivating.
- Operate news gathering vehicle to and from various locations.
- Write and post daily on all digital platforms including social media.
- Enterprise investigative stories.
- Shoot, write and edit packaged reports.
- Write for the web, including attaching images and streaming video.
- Use creative production techniques such as graphics and new forms of media (viewer pictures, webcam interviews, etc.) to enhance stories.
- Transmit and present exciting live reports with current technology.
- Perform other tasks as required by supervisor or executive producer.
- BA/BS in journalism, communications or related field
- 3-5+ years of experience preferred
- Experience with CAP, LexisNexis and NICAR
- Bilingual (English & Spanish) speaker a plus
- Experience in photojournalism, editing, and content management systems
- Understanding of the tenets of professional journalism
- A portfolio with examples of strong breaking news reporting
- Ability to generate creative, engaging, content-driven live shots
- Strong social media skills, including an active news hound presence on Twitter and Facebook
- Knowledge of ENPS, Edius and Axis graphics a plus
- Organizational skills and the ability to work under constant time pressure deadlines
- Ability to calmly handle live, breaking news situations and changing events
- Demonstrated experience writing, reporting, shooting, and editing video
- Experience with "spot news"- proven ability to react quickly to breaking events
- Strong communication skills (written/oral) for on-air delivery
- Proven ability to work under pressure while meeting daily assigned deadlines
- Ability to interact productively & positively within different environments
- Applicable knowledge of multiplatform news gathering tools and resources including digital media
- Valid driver's license and good driving record
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 63 television stations in 51 U.S. markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, digital and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA's OTT advertising service. For more information, visit [ Link removed ] - URL blocked - click to apply.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information.