Psychiatric Nursing Assistant I - Adult Psychiatry Unit (7RC) - 100% - #19528315
University of Iowa
The University of Iowa Hospital and Clinics will be opening a new psychiatric inpatient unit in Spring 2021. This state of the art unit design features private rooms, natural light-filled spaces, open nurses' station and exercise rooms. Innovative technology has been integrated into this space to promote a safe environment for staff and patients.
7RC is separated into a 12 bed mood disorder unit and a 13 bed eating disorder unit. We will utilize an evidence based, patient-centered, interdisciplinary approach, with contributions from physicians, psychologists, advance practice providers, master level therapists, nurses, social workers, dieticians, occupational and recreational therapists, all striving to work collaboratively with patients and families to provide the best possible care. 7RC will feature a new collaborative position, behavioral health consultant, with the goal to elevate the patient and team outcomes. Evidence based therapeutic modalities utilized on the unit will include dialectical behavior therapy, cognitive behavioral therapy and trauma informed care.
The University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics Department of Nursing is seeking a Psychiatric Nursing Assistant to perform specific tasks to assist members of the Nursing team in providing patient care under the direct supervision of Registered Nurses.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Establish therapeutic relationships with patients, families and multi disciplinary team.
- Participates in planning patient care appropriate for patient's condition and age.
- Documents patient behavior in a factual, legible manner and identifies material to report to the registered nurse.
- Maintains patients' safety and security by providing physical care and assistance; follows Standard precaution.
- Provides supervision of patients during activities.
Identifies potential crisis situations, reports to the registered nurse, and intervenes.
- Perform patient personal hygiene such as bathing, toileting, feeding, dressing, grooming and oral care for patients.
- Take temperature, pulse and blood pressure.
- Clean equipment, patient bedside area and nursing unit.
- Set up rooms for patient admission.
- Transport patients by bed, cart or wheelchair.
- Transport equipment, specimens and supplies.
- Stock and supply patient rooms and Nursing unit.
- Perform basic CPR as required.
- Maintain patient confidentiality.
Aptitudes required in order to perform responsibilities:
- Work in an environment with conflicting demands and/or priorities and rushed and/or urgent timelines.
- Manage multiple assignments and provide quick reaction and immediate response to emergencies.
- Maintain attention to detail over extended period of time and continually be aware of variations in changing situations.
- Strong communication skills and a tolerance for an active work environment with potential for negative behavior.
- Work well with all levels and types of people.
University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics—recognized as one of the best hospitals in the United States—is Iowa's only comprehensive academic medical center and a regional referral center. Each day more than 12,000 employees, students, and volunteers work together to provide safe, quality health care and excellent service for our patients. Simply stated, our mission is: Changing Medicine. Changing Lives.®
Adult Psychiatry (1JPW)
This 22-bed unit provides care for adult psychiatric patients with a focus on treating people with eating disorders, mood disorders, or emotional management problems. The approach to patient care is one that encourages teamwork among the nursing staff and between disciplines. Staff on 1JPW learn and utilize Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and Dialectical Behavior Therapy skills in their interactions with 1JPW patients.
Percent of Time: 100%
Schedule: 40 hours per week
Location: John Pappajohn Pavillion (JPP)
Rotations: Every other weekend, Evening/Night Shift, Rotating Holidays
Salary: $29,721.28 per year
- Regular salaried position located in Iowa City, Iowa
- Fringe benefit package including paid vacation; sick leave; health, dental, life and disability insurance options; and generous employer contributions into retirement plans
Minimum Eligibility Requirements:
- Ability to read, write and follow instructions.
- Experience defusing volatile situations
- Be a Certified Nursing Assistant
- Have strong written communication skills with experience providing customer service relations
- Previous patient care experience in a Mental Health setting is highly desired.
Application Process: In order to be considered, applicants must upload a resume (under submission relevant materials) that clearly address how they meet the listed required and desired qualifications of this position.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of 10 calendar days. This job may be removed from posting and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended.
Successful candidates will be subject to a criminal background check. This position is not eligible for University sponsorship for employment authorization.
Applicant selected for position, if external, must be available to attend a 2-3 week orientation session Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm.
- Classification Title: Psychiatric Nursing Asst I
- Appointment Type: Merit
- Schedule: Full-time
- Pay Level: 4
- Organization: Healthcare
- Contact Name: Tiffany Perkins
- Contact Email: email@example.com