Avian Field Technician - Forestry and Natural Resources - #19528397
West Virginia University Research Corporation Human Resources
The Forestry and Natural Resources Department in the Davis College of Agriculture, Natural Resources and Design at West Virginia University is seeking applications for an Avian Field Technician.
In order to be successful in this position, the ideal candidate will perform:
- Game bird surveys.
- Post-breeding bird surveys.
- Breeding bird surveys.
- Vegetation sampling.
- Data processing
- Data entry and data proofing.
- Deploying game cameras and autonomous recording units.
Length of Assignment – 4 Months
Pay Grade: 10
- Bachelor's degree in Wildlife Biology or related field (e.g., Wildlife and Fisheries, Natural Resources, Ecology).
- Work experience as a field technician or assistant focusing on natural resources, wildlife, ecology, or forestry.
- General experience with conducting breeding bird surveys, deploying or monitoring trail cameras, sampling vegetation, and entering data into Excel.
- Knowledge of how to identify bird species by sight and sounds.
- Familiarity with point count surveys, using GPS units, navigating with a compass and map, making tree measurements, and entering data.