Engineer - Engineering Development Program - #19528445
VIAVI Solutions (NASDAQ: VIAV). VIAVI's OSP division is a leader in anti-counterfeiting solutions
for currency authentication and high-value optical components and instruments for diverse
government and commercial applications. Learn more at www.viavisolutions.com and follow
us on Viavi Perspectives, LinkedIn, Twitter, YouTube and Facebook.
Engineer – VIAVI Engineering Development Program
The Engineering Development Program (EDP) at VIAVI is a two-year program for highly qualified engineering graduates.
The program enables new graduates to develop technical and leadership skills through a series of rotations in functional and manufacturing areas in our Santa Rosa, California facility. Through these rotations new graduates learn important skills in optical metrology, materials characterization, optical coating design, roll-to-roll vacuum coating, sputter deposition, quality systems, and Process Engineering. The rotations, supplemented by courses in key technology areas, provide new graduates with the skill set required for an Optical Thin Film Coating Process Engineering role in one of Viavi's Santa Rosa Operations Engineering groups.
This position is in Santa Rosa, California. VIAVI's Santa Rosa facility manufactures products for applications in anti-counterfeiting, consumer electronics, government, healthcare and automotive markets.
Key Roles and Responsibilities:
- Develop optical coating process engineering skills through rotations and courses in
- Rotation Examples
- Materials Characterization Laboratory
- Optical Metrology Laboratory
- R&D Coating Development Groups
- Quality Engineering Group
- Operations Manufacturing Group
- Course Examples
- Vacuum Technology
- Sputter Deposition Processes
- Optical Thin Film Coating Design
- Technical Plasmas
- Color Metrology
- Complete projects in each rotation, with contributions including
- Characterization and measurement of optics and optical coatings
- Development of coating processes for manufacturing optical coatings
- Application of quality system in manufacturing areas
- Evaluation of manufacturing process safety
- Documentation of work in informal memos as well as formal reports
- Presenting information on projects to fellow engineers and management
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills and the ability to interface with all levels of staff and leadership.
- Analytical thinker; detail oriented; problem solver.
- Self-starter with the ability to both work independently and with cross-functional teams, and to work effectively in multi-disciplinary environment.
- Capable of working on special projects in addition to normal day to day responsibilities and work in a fast paced environment.
- Minimum B.S. in related Engineering discipline such as Mechanical, Electrical, or other Physical Science.
- GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- This position requires use of information which is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). All applicants must be U.S. Persons within the meaning of ITAR. ITAR defines a U.S. Person as a U.S. Citizen or National, U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident (i.e. 'Green Card Holder'), Political Asylee, Refugee, or Temporary Resident granted amnesty.
- Proficient with computers: strong proficiency with MS Excel and Office; experience with MatLab and related tools.
- Experience and/or interest in optics, vacuum engineering, and/or vacuum processes highly desirable.
Process Engineering Roles at VIAVI's Santa Rosa site:
The Engineering Development Program (EDP) at VIAVI prepares new graduates for Process Engineering roles at the company. The job description for a representative role in Process Engineering at VIAVI is given below.
Optical Thin Film Coating Process Engineer:
This individual will be responsible for engineering support relating to the manufacture of optical thin film coatings and special-effect optical pigments. The person in this position is the technical interface with the production floor staff working as a critical part of the manufacturing team. This person will also be part of the technical interface team with customers and product design teams at Viavi Solutions to identify requirements, establish specifications and respond to inquiries pertaining to optical filters and pigments. As such this person will establish systemic solutions and processes to improve process yields, product quality, engineering efficiency and process consistency.
If you have what it takes to push boundaries and seize opportunities, apply to join our team today.
VIAVI Solutions is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer – minorities/females/veterans/persons with disabilities.