Machinist - #19528572
Eaton's Electrical sector is currently seeking a Machinist to join our team. This position is based at our Reno, NV location.
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It's where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
In this function you will:
- Study blueprints, sketches, models, or specifications to plan sequences of operations for fabricating tools, dies, or assemblies.
- Verify dimensions, alignments, and clearances of finished parts for conformance to specifications, using measuring instruments such as calipers, gauge blocks, micrometers, and dial indicators.
- Visualize and compute dimensions, sizes, shapes, and tolerances of assemblies, based on specifications.
- Set up and operate conventional or computer numerically controlled machine tools such as lathes, milling machines, and grinders to cut, bore, grind, or otherwise shape parts to prescribed dimensions and finishes.
- File, grind, shim, and adjust different parts to properly fit them together.
- Fit and assemble parts to make, repair, or modify dies, jigs, gauges, and tools, using machine tools and hand tools.
- Conduct test runs with completed tools or dies to ensure that parts meet specifications, making adjustments as necessary.
- Inspect finished dies for smoothness, contour conformity, and defects.
- Smooth and polish flat and contoured surfaces of parts or tools, using scrapers, abrasive stones, files, emery cloths, or power grinders.
- Lift, position, and secure machined parts on surface plates or worktables, using hoists, vises, v-blocks, or angle plates.
- Measure, mark, and scribe metal or plastic stock to lay out machining, using instruments such as protractors, micrometers, scribes, and rulers.
- Develop and design new tools and dies, using computer-aided design software.
- Cut, shape, and trim blanks or blocks to specified lengths or shapes, using power saws, power shears, rules, and hand tools.
- Design jigs, fixtures, and templates for use as work aids in the fabrication of parts or products.
- Select metals to be used from a range of metals and alloys, based on properties such as hardness and heat tolerance.
- Set pyrometer controls of heat-treating furnaces and feed or place parts, tools, or assemblies into furnaces to harden.
- Set up and operate drill presses to drill and tap holes in parts for assembly.
- Supports all facility Continuous Improvement and LEAN initiatives including, but not limited to:
- Maintain 5-S (sort, set in order, shine, standardize, sustain) throughout shop floor and office areas.
- Track and sustain all visual management tools such as, but not limited to: layered audits, Overall Equipment Effectiveness (OEE) boards, and any additional LEAN tools that are deemed necessary to provide direction, goals and status to the shop floor.
- Encourage, support, and actively participate in Kaizen improvements and events throughout the facility, department, and area of responsibility.
- Other various duties and responsibilities as may be assigned.
- When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds that make each of us unique, we — as individuals and as a company — are stronger.
Required (Basic) Qualifications:
- High School Diploma or GED from an accredited institution
- Minimum two (2) years' experience in related field or comparable Trade School
- Legally authorized to work in the United States without company sponsorship now or in the future.
- Must have working knowledge of Shop Math including Trigonometry, Angles and Circle interpolation.
- No relocation benefit is being offered for this position. Only candidates within a 50-mile radius of Reno will be considered. Active Duty Military Service member candidates are exempt from the geographical area limitation.
- Able to stand on feet continuously during working shift.
- Able to regularly lift 50 pounds without assistance.
- Must be able to wear required personal protective equipment as required by company policy and procedure.
- Able to work with water soluble oil coolants
We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you'll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That's why Eaton is dedicated to improving people's lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters.
We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We're ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we're committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Job: Manufacturing & Operations
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: EPG BLD BLine Division
Job Level: Entry Level
Does this position offer relocation?: No