Forestry Technician (Recreation) - #19528629
Department Of Agriculture
This Forestry Technician (Recreation) position is located with the Glacier Ranger District in Girdwood, Alaska.
For additional information about the position, contact Graham Predeger, 907-754-2352,
The salary of the position will be adjusted to include a 2.86% Cost of Living Allowance (COLA).
Learn more about this agency
- Incumbent performs a variety of technical work in support of the unit recreation program
- Contacts visitors to provide information about recreation regulations, opportunities, and current restrictions.
- Provides information on resource management practices in the area.
- Maintains contact with Campground Host(s).
- Checks for compliance with regulations, issues notices for common violations, and reports other violations to supervisor.
- At designated fee sites, collects monies from sale of recreation use permits, safeguards money and unused permits.
- Assures recreation area and trails are maintained in accordance with standards.
- Constructs and rehabilitates minor recreation facilities and trails.
- Makes safety checks of public use areas and takes corrective action.
- On occasion, directs or leads one or two lower grade employees engaged in recreation maintenance and/or contract work.
- Work will occur where cell phone communication may not be available during the day.
- Work is performed in wet and cold rainy conditions and requires carrying up to 50lbs off trail in the woods while hiking several miles a day.
- The position requires driving and riding in vehicles and boats for long periods of time. Camping for several consecutive nights will be required in addition to some weekend and holiday work.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
- Job family (Series)
0462 Forestry Technician
Conditions of Employment
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or National.
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service or exempt.
- Subject to satisfactory adjudication of background investigation and/or fingerprint check.
- Per Public Law 104-134 all Federal employees are required to have federal payments made by direct deposit to their financial institution.
- Successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit E-Verify.
- Willing to live/work in remote locations (volatile/unpredictable)
You must meet the ANILCA eligibility requirements to be referred for this position.
Eligibility Requirements: You must have lived and or worked in or near the geographic boundaries of the Glacier Ranger District and have special knowledge or expertise concerning the cultural and/or natural resources of the Girdwood, Alaska area in order to participate in Forestry Technician (Recreation) projects. Your responses to the questions in the assessment for this announcement must clearly show that you meet the eligibility requirements.
Education is not considered for eligibility requirements.