Human Resources Specialist (military) - #19528746
Department of Defense
THIS IS A NATIONAL GUARD TITLE 5 EXCEPTED SERVICE POSITION.
This National Guard position is for a HR SPEC (MIL), Position Description Number T5808700 and is part of the Military Personnel Office of the Vermont Army National Guard.
Learn more about this agency
The purpose of this position is to provide technical expertise and guidance for all military personnel assigned in the State, and oversees the functions of one of the following human resource programs: Officer Personnel Management (OPM), Enlisted Personnel Management (EPM), Personnel Systems, SIDPERS Interface Branch (SIB), or the Personnel Services Section.
(1) Serves as an advisor to commanders on assigned unit human resources (HR) program. Interprets policy and provides procedural guidance to commanders, supervisors, staff members and individual military members. Provides training to supervisors and guidance and assistance to military members on program for which assigned. Participates in Soldier Readiness Processing (SRP) and unit mobilizations and de-mobilizations. Reviews, evaluates, and interprets regulatory guidance, policies, and procedures applicable to military personnel programs and provides guidance to all users. Drafts and implements State policy based on the aforementioned policies. Publishes guidance to enhance and simplify completion and submission of personnel actions. Conducts command inspections, staff visits and trains personnel within the unit in all programs for which responsible.
(2) Responsible for and oversees the direction of the EPM/OPM or Incentives program and functions as the technical expert. Determines the methods and procedures for conducting military career guidance and counseling to ensure officer or enlisted personnel have an optimal and established career pattern. Provides direction, information, and/or counseling to MILPO staff and commanders of Major Army Command (MACOMM) through unit commanders, supervisors, as well as individual military members as required.
(3) Responsible for and oversees the direction of SIDPERS and internal/external interfaces, and functions as the technical expert. Responsible for and ensures the timely and accurate processing of submitted military personnel actions. Manages a control log to maintain document control and an audit trail of all transactions received and dispersed in SIDPERS. Notifies units and higher echelons of rejected or incomplete transaction/documentation, necessary steps or processes required to resolve the problem, and maintains a database for tracking and suspension of submissions for identification of trends and problems. Identifies problem areas in the types of submissions (based on rejects/incomplete documentation), the locations where training is needed, and creates and provides training material.
(4) Responsible for and oversees the direction of the Personnel Services Section and functions as the technical expert. Oversees the performance of document handling, records maintenance, and the Integrated Personnel Electronic Records Management System (iPERMS). Directs staff in performance of periodic record reviews and inventories to ensure total record accountability. Establishes access control lists to restrict unauthorized personnel from gaining access to personnel files other than their own or for those they are responsible for.
(6) Accomplishes and oversees the technical support work in the program area assigned with the assistance of subordinate employees which may be Active Guard Reserve (AGR), full time Technician, or civilian. Performs limited supervisory duties which include assignment and review of work on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis; assure that production and accuracy requirements are met; approval of leave; effect minor disciplinary actions i.e., warnings or reprimands; identify training needs; and recommend performance standards and ratings.
(7) Performs other duties as assigned.
REFER TO PD FOR FULL LIST OF DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
- Job family (Series)
0201 Human Resources Management
- Human Resources Specialists
Specialists, Human Resources
Conditions of Employment
- Males born after 31 December 1959 must be registered for Selective Service.
- Federal employment suitability as determined by a background investigation.
- May be required to successfully complete a probationary period.
- Participation in direct deposit is mandatory.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain the appropriate security clearance of the position.
- May occasionally be required to work other than normal duty hours; overtime may be required.
- This is an Indefinite tenure appointment not to exceed 07/31/2022.
- This position is covered by the Domestic Violence Misdemeanor Amendment (30 Sep 96) of the Gun Control Act (Lautenberg Amendment) of 1968. An individual convicted of a qualifying crime of domestic violence may not perform the duties of this position.
- Ability to establish effective professional working relationships with coworkers and customers, contributing to a cooperative working environment and successful accomplishment of the mission.
- This position is subject to provisions of the DoD Priority Placement Program.
GENERAL EXPERIENCE: Must have experience collecting and analyzing data effectively, efficiently, and accurately; the ability to clearly enunciate English without impediment of speech that would interfere or prohibit efficient communication; the ability to write English in reports and presentation formats; the ability to communicate clearly and effectively; the skill in presenting formal training presentations and briefings; the ability to assess body language and perceive emotional and/or distress levels; and skilled in applying procedures and directives by reading and interpreting program material.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE GS-0201-09: Must have at least 24 months experience, education, or training of specialized experiences (at least 12 months of which was at the GS-07 level or the equivalent) which provided a working knowledge of National Guard missions, organizations, and federal civilian or military personnel programs. Must have experiences in executing personnel programs and Human Resources Information Systems, as applicable to the specific position and its position description. Must have knowledge and understanding of the personnel and manpower core competencies: Organization Structure; Requirements Determination; Program Allocation and Control; and, Performance Improvement. Have a working knowledge of organizational structures; manpower standards; manpower resources; manpower data systems; or, commercial services to include strategic sourcing. Experienced in performing personnel program requirements that involve advising supervisors and managers; and, experienced in completing accession planning and processing; classification and position management; and, civilian promotions. Experienced in advertising positions, processing assignments or reassignment actions; reviewing human resources development programs; applying education and training policy requirements; discussing retraining procedures; and/or providing retirement options. Competent in discussing the equal opportunity and sexual assault prevention and response programs. Have experiences in career counseling; completing or editing performance evaluations; and, conducting educational and skill development personnel course programs. Competent in merit principles, personnel plans, programs, and policies to guide or advise others on their implementation activities. Skilled in applying program policies, directives, publications, and training manuals. Knowledgeable on allocating manpower resource budgets or execution procedures. Experienced in performance management and productivity programs; or, advising on process improvement, best practices, and performance techniques.
PART-TIME OR UNPAID EXPERIENCE: Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid and or part-time work. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
VOLUNTEER WORK EXPERIENCE: Refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service Programs (i.e., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student and social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge and skills that can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
CONTINUATION OF CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- This is not a permanent appointment.
- This is an indefinite tenure appointment not to exceed 7/31/2022.
- The incumbent will be separated at the expiration of the term of appointment.
- This position is eligible to Situational Telework which occurs on an occasional non-routine or ad hoc basis.
- The duties and responsibilities of your job may significantly impact the environment. You are responsible to maintain awareness of your environmental responsibilities as dictated by legal and regulatory requirements, your organization, and its changing mission.
- This position is designated as Essential Personnel and may be subject to duty in preparation for, or in response to, a state emergency or disaster declaration. This designation will not exceed 14 calendar days per year unless otherwise approved in advance by the TAG.
Please be advised:
Specialized experience will be used to determine qualifications for the announced position.
An applicant's RESUME must provide, in detail, how they meet the specialized experience listed.
It must be documented with "from (mm/yy)" and "to (mm/yy)" dates and description of the specialized experience.
- If education or a degree is required as part of the "Specialized Experience", you must include transcripts.
Do not copy the specialized experience qualifications word for word and place into your resume; you must describe your personal experience as it pertains to each statement.
There are no educational requirements for this position.