Horticulture Technician - #19528839
City of Norfolk, VA
The City of Norfolk's Department of Recreation, Parks & Open Space,Bureau of Parks and Urban Forestry, is seeking to hire a Horticulture Technician toperform activities related to the beautification, health and aesthetics of ornamental landscape planting. The Horticulture Technician manages and performs all work in the green houses and grounds surrounding the area. They are responsible for landscape design and construction, irrigation design and maintenance and greenhouse collections.
Departmental Salary Hiring Range: $25,179.00 to $28,955.85
Essential functions include but are not limited to:
- Manage the ornamental planters program which includes all maintenance, design, and procurement of plant material for seasonal displays.
- Monitors all displays for healthy growth and addresses any issues with the plantings as they arise
- Manage the ordering and receiving of plants from vendors including their adherence to specifications.
- Perform administration duties by maintaining pesticide records, plant inventories and maintenance records.
- Occasional supervision of a small crew or volunteer group and interaction with the public as needed.
- Manage tree and plant materials for winter projects including maintenance of the material while stored at the Dana St. compound.
- Work closely with other Parks & U.F. personnel in a team effort to accomplish goals.
Work requires knowledge of a specific vocational, administrative, or technical nature which may be obtained with a two year associate's degree, diploma or equivalent from a college, technical, business, vocational, or correspondence school. Appropriate certification may be awarded upon satisfactory completion of advanced study or training.
Two years experience in the horticultural field.
The preferred candidate will possess the following:
- Two years experience in the horticulture field.
- Classes in Ornamental Horticulture.
- Virginia Certified Horticulturist.
- Valid Class A or B Commercial Drivers License.
- Virginia Pesticide Applicator's License.
Additional Information & Requirements
- Valid Driver's License.
- Virginia Pesticide Applicator License within first six (6) months of employment required.
- Consideration for an interview is based solely on the information provided within this application.Your responses to the supplemental questions will be reviewed and verified with the information you provide in the body of your application.
- To check the status of your application, refer to your GovernmentJobs.com account for the latest update.
- Applications must include complete work history, including periods of unemployment if applicable. Writing "See resume" with no other information is considered an incomplete application and will not be considered.
Work Location:2839 Dana Street Norfolk Va. 23509
Work Schedule:40 hours per week; 6:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. Start times subject to change.