Patient Care Technician Inpatient, Nights - #19528911
Under the direct supervision of a Nurse, provide basic nursing care for the personal and comfort needs of the patient.
UnityPoint Health - Trinity, in the Quad Cities, is a regional integrated health care delivery system including four full-service hospitals in Rock Island and Moline, Illinois and Bettendorf and Muscatine, Iowa with a total of 584 licensed inpatient beds. Trinity's hospitals, clinics, home health care agency, mental health center, health sciences college and residency program employ more than 3,000 employees. Together, we are working toward physician-driven, patient-centered care to achieve our vision of delivering the best outcome for every patient, every time.
The Quad Cities is a connected, creative and prosperous bi-state community on the banks of the mighty Mississippi River. The region is made up of Davenport and Bettendorf in Iowa - Moline, East Moline, and Rock island in Illinois - and other surrounding communities. The Quad Cities is a great place to live and work. It offers something for everyone including arts and culture, amazing festivals and events, innovative and superior schools and universities, and quality healthcare. The Quad Cities is a premier destination for young professionals and families and sits only hours away from Chicago, St. Louis, and Des Moines.
Clinical Excellence/Patient Care
- Contributes toward accomplishment of patient's Plan of Care goals by providing care activities as assigned by the nurse.
- Demonstrates competence in the implementation/administration of age appropriate care in accordance with established Practice Guidelines, Policies/Procedures and State/Federal Law in regards to hygiene, nutritional, elimination, and activity measures as well as non-sterile/non-invasive procedures, oxygen setup, simple dressings, traction set-up, blood glucose testing, measuring and recording vital signs and non-sterile specimen collection.
- Promptly completes documentation to assure an accurate legal record of patient's care.
- Promotes, monitors and maintains a safe clean environment by assisting with identifying safety needs of patients and modifying the environment to meet these needs, perform light housekeeping functions to maintain a clean, neat and orderly work/patient care area, adhering to established Universal/Standard precautions.
- Provides for efficient operation of unit/department by taking initiative and assuming other responsibilities as needed.
- Contributes effectively to the communication needs of the department by acknowledging patients, healthcare providers and visitors upon arrival to the unit, engaging in collaborative communication, identifying and reporting patient care concerns in a timely manner, practicing excellent telephone etiquette.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
- Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
- Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
- Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
- Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, JCAHO, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
- Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
- Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Experience: Must be at least 16 years old if meeting #5 below under license/certification.
License(s)/Certification(s): Successful completion and documentation of one of the following:
Graduation from an accredited nursing program and waiting for NCLEX re-examination. Certified Nursing Assistant listed as either Active or Inactive on any state health care worker registry. EMT-B licensure. Medical Assistant. Must be enrolled in Trinity's PCT on the job training program and successfully complete. Successful completion of first semester of nursing school that includes Nursing Fundamentals. Current CPR certification.
Knowledge/Skills/Abilities: Writes, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English. Multicultural sensitivity. Microsoft Office – basic computer skills. Customer/patient focused. Critical thinking skills using independent judgment in making decisions.
Other: Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position. Work may occasionally require travel to other UPH facilities.