Lead Interaction Designer - #19528950
Eaton's Bussmann Division is currently seeking a Lead Interaction Designer to join our team. This position is based at our Ellisville, MO location.
We are a power management company made up of over 99,000 employees, doing business in more than 175 countries. Our energy-efficient products and services help our customers effectively manage electrical, hydraulic and mechanical power more reliably, efficiently, safely and sustainably.
Today, the world runs on critical infrastructure and technology. Planes. Hospitals. Factories. Data centers. Vehicles. The electrical grid. These are things people depend on every day. And the companies behind them depend on us to help solve some of the toughest power management challenges on the planet. At Eaton, we're dedicated to improving people's lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable.
Eaton is connecting many of the products they offer, as well as creating new digital products and services. There is an amazing opportunity to provide significant impact to the organization in the Controls and Protection – Bussmann Division in Ellisville, MO working closely with Eaton's Center for Connected Intelligent Solutions (CCIS). The CCIS team accelerates the creation of meaningful, connected experiences through the advancement of secure reusable platforms, processes, and services. Here you will find a team of awesome developers, open source gurus, testers, digital user experience designers, cloud architects, industrial designers, visual designers, DevOps engineers, agile experts, front-end and mobile developers, big data architects, design thinkers, and more. The CCIS is central to Eaton's digital transformation. As a liaison between the Bussmann product team and the CCIS you will utilize established world-class software development and design capabilities that are built on a never-ending passion for innovation. We are change agents, always striving to improve, and excited to work at Eaton. We believe that you will be too.
We are seeking a Lead Interaction Designer with a background both in visual design and front end interface development to join a team that's challenged with changing the way our customers safely interact with and understand their electrical infrastructure. Our goals are to increase safety, minimize power problems, create context for users when problems do occur, and help them save energy. This position is part of an interaction design team that is leading the way on new products and product updates. The team focuses heavily on user centered design, prototyping and user testing. The position will require occasional travel to customer sites.
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It's where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
In this function you will:
- Create code to style front end interface elements to match visual designs and collaborate with developers working on the back end.
- Provide leadership to front end design team and effectively communicate with back end developers and other project stakeholders
- Identify product opportunities through human-centered discovery and research methods, contribute to complex UX ecosystems, and inspire your product team to push the boundaries of what's possible
- Translate research and business plans into product concepts that lead to intuitive user experiences and facilitate product development using personas, journey maps, research reports, sketches, wireframes, and prototypes
- Execute across all project phases from early discovery and research through detailed visual design
- Plan and facilitate Design Thinking workshops across a diverse group of businesses and product lines
- Effectively advocate for users in a corporate climate, providing day-to-day design leadership and work closely with other human-centered designers, engineers, and business professionals to guide products from inception through delivery
- Work with customers and internal stake holders to understand the product space and design priorities.
- Create and iterate on prototypes at various levels of fidelity as well as test prototypes with users and create interactions that are innovative and user focused.
- Create visual designs that are as beautiful as they are functional.
When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds that make each of us unique, we — as individuals and as a company — are stronger.
Required (Basic) Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution
- Minimum of 4 years of experience working on front end development and coding
- Minimum of 2 years of experience working in Human Centered Design or Industrial Interactive Design
- Must be able to work in the United States without corporate sponsorship now and within the future
- No relocation benefit is being offered for this position. Only candidates within a 50-mile radius of Ellisville, MO or Moon Township, PA will be considered. A remote home office will also be considered if you don't reside near one of these sites. Active Duty Military Service member candidates are exempt from the geographical area limitation.
- Master's degree in Human-Computer Interaction, Industrial Design or related field from an accredited institution.
- Strong hand sketching and digital visual communication skills
- Online portfolio of research and design that can be accessed via link on resume or application
- At least 5 years of experience working as a designer on interactive projects
- Exposure to working with a cross-functional team of business analysts, User Experience Designers, Software Developers, and Testers
- Experience creating designs for a wide variety of interfaces, from large dashboard displays to mobile devices
- Experience and exposure to Design Thinking tools and methodologies
- Experience with Agile software development
- Experience with Figma (preferred), Sketch, or Adobe XD
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to travel up to 25% internationally and domestically
- Build strong relationships and operating rhythms with leaders inside and outside the core team.
- Foster Eaton's culture and principles, while setting new standards in executional and operational excellence.
- Ability to lead a globally diverse team
- Support co-workers and mentor junior staff
- The ability to grasp complex and diverse customer needs and distill them into clean, understandable solutions.
We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
Eaton provides a competitive total rewards package commensurate with applicable skills, knowledge, and experience and consistent with internal and external market practices. The annual salary range for this role is $84,720-116,490 a year.
At Eaton, we know that good benefit plans are important to employees and their families. In addition to a competitive base salary, Eaton provides various Health and Welfare benefits as well as Retirement benefits. Click here for more detail: Eaton Benefits at a Glance.
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you'll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That's why Eaton is dedicated to improving people's lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters.
We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We're ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we're committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: EPG CPD UL Bussmann
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: Yes
Does this position offer relocation?: No
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time