Paralegal - #19529115
Leidos Holdings Inc.
Be part of a dynamic team in providing legal and technical services to support the Department of Justice and other U.S. Government agencies. From emails and instant messages, to serves, electronic devices, and social media systems, we're equipped to meet the challenge of forensically capturing, reviewing, and illuminating the "smoking gun" evidence. Join us and make a difference.
Leidos is looking for a top notch candidate to perform Paralegal support services in support of one or more AUSAs in support of one of our federal agency customers in Fort Smith, Arkansas.
Overtime and travel may be required as needed with proper authorization. Individual may support any division/section within depending on the needs of the office at time of hire.
Typical assignments include the following but not limited to:
- Performing specialized legal research and writing in support of ACE work through the research and analysis of statutes, legislative intent, judicial precedents, agency rules and regulations, and law review articles as they relate to assigned cases to include those of an especially complex or unprecedented nature.
- Utilizes a variety of automated legal research tools as well as public information databases and other automated resources to research case- or program-specific legal matters, and to participate in assigned areas of civil proceedings, e.g. electronic discovery.
- Reviewing and evaluating referrals to determine the need for additional information and evidence, and planning a comprehensive approach to obtain this information and evidence.
- Advising the ACE attorney(s) regarding the merits and weaknesses of ACE referrals based upon applicable law, evidence of liability and damages, and potential defenses, and recommends for or against commencement of judicial proceedings.
- Helping the USAO develop new referrals, by ensuring a good working relationship with client agencies and the public, and by assisting in ACE training for federal, state and local agencies, preparing informational literature, etc.
- Receiving and analyzing incoming pleadings and correspondence. Determining appropriate action and notes time limitations for responses.
- Drafting correspondence and legal documents for ACE attorney's signature. Drafting proposed orders and decrees for signature of judges and magistrates.
- Assisting ACE attorney in pretrial preparations by preparing, scheduling, reviewing, and organizing discovery; notifying, interviewing, and managing witnesses; and researching case law.
- Supporting ACE attorney in court proceedings by briefing attorney on pertinent facts, issues, and case law, and by compiling, organizing, and indexing exhibits.
- Performs other miscellaneous tasks.
The above mentioned duties may be performed as single functions or in combination with one another.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Requires paralegal certificate, or Juris Doctorate, or currently attending an ABA-accredited law school, having completed at least one year of study. Only the Contracting Officer can approve a waiver of the education requirements.
- At least one year of litigation paralegal experience required.
- Must have basic legal knowledge, including knowledge of standard legal citation to cite check legal motions and memorandum.
- Must have sufficient experience with legal research tools such as LEXIS and Westlaw to perform basic legal research.
- Thorough knowledge and hands-on familiarity with a variety of computer applications, including word processing, databases (such as document review and file management systems), spreadsheets, imaging, and hardware systems.
- Role also requires basic familiarity with ESI tools and knowledge of eDiscovery procedures and resources.
- Ability to consistently deliver highest quality work under extreme pressure will be very important.
- Ability to work and interact professionally and effectively with all levels of staff.
- Ability to meet established deadlines and work as a team player in a professional office.
- Skilled in meeting and dealing with people in a courteous and tactful manner.
- Some walking, standing, bending and carrying of small office items
- Ability to obtain a security clearance.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen.
- Experience working in a Government and/or Litigation Support environment in conjunction with basic qualifications.
- Trial experience very helpful.
- Experience with Affirmative Civil Enforcement support.
- Automated litigation support experience valued.
- Ability to review a wide variety of documents, both legal and non-legal.
- Current or active clearance.
Leidos is growing! Connect with us on LinkedIn and Facebook.
We value and support the well-being and mobility of our employees with competitive benefit packages, complementary e-learning training, work-life flexibility, and a diverse, inclusive and ethical work place. In fact, in 2020,
Leidos was ranked as one of the "World's Most Ethical Companies" by the Ethisphere Institute for the third consecutive year.
External Referral Bonus:
Potential for Telework:
Clearance Level Required:
Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 38,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Va., Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $11.09 billion for the fiscal year ended January 3, 2020. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.