Development Director | Institute for Nonprofit News - #19529340
Institute for Nonprofit News
The Oxford American (OA), a nonprofit literary arts organization, is seeking a Development Director (DD). This is a new role at the OA, and it is an exciting opportunity for a fundraising professional who is eager to help lead the organization to new heights and willing to create and own new development systems. The DD will play an essential role redefining and executing development strategies that enhance the organization's fundraising practices. This is a full-time salaried position.
The successful candidate will be a self-starter committed to the OA's mission to explore the complexity and vitality of the American South, empower writers and artists, and cultivate an inclusive community of readers and thinkers. We are seeking someone capable of balancing multiple deadlines simultaneously and who has exceptional written and verbal communication skills. The DD should be comfortable functioning in a fast-paced environment and working as part of a dynamic team toward common goals. For a highly qualified candidate, the OA will consider a remote employment arrangement.
- Evaluate the OA's current development practices and devise a refreshed strategy that leverages the organization's strengths, including the following:
o Consistent award-winning quality and integrity
o Recognition as a national leader in literary journalism and arbiter of Southern culture
o Enhanced and stable financial position
o Success of current senior executive team in donor stewardship and relationship-building
- Major gift solicitation making use of OA's current network of stakeholders but also developing new leads
- Grant research, writing, and management with an emphasis on successful new multi-year funding opportunities
- Management and expansion of OA's annual giving program, the OA Society
- Work with ED and Editor to conceive of and execute up to (3) fundraising events each year
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree and 5-7 years of experience in development, directly or indirectly
- Arts, humanities, and/or literary development experience preferred
- Demonstrated success in past development and fundraising roles
- Proficient in donor database management applications, as well as MS Office suite of applications
- Travel will be required
- Competitive salary and benefits package including healthcare, dental, vision, and 401(k) plan
- Compensation will be commensurate with demonstrated experience and skills
- The DD reports to the Executive Director and will work in partnership with both the ED and Editor
- To apply, email a cover letter and résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org.