Meteorologist/Multi-Skilled Journalist - #19529474
WATN/WLMT, the TEGNA station in Memphis, TN, is seeking a meteorologist and multi-skilled journalist to join our team. The ideal candidate for this role loves covering severe weather and understands the importance of keeping our viewers safe.
Our next meteorologist/MSJ will have strong communication skills, be a team player, have an engaging personality, and a passion for winning severe weather. This person will be a major part of severe weather coverage and must be able to successfully sustain continuous coverage of severe weather events. This person will not only have a passion for forecasting but also telling science stories in a way that engages all audiences on all platforms.
This position also requires solid journalism and broadcasting judgment. This person will be a multi-skilled journalist three days a week and must find compelling, innovative stories to tell. The best candidate for this position has excellent writing, researching, and editing skills.
Working knowledge of Barron and Edius is a plus.
- Provide accurate weather forecasts using the most accurate weather technology in a multi-platform environment
- Create digital and social content multiple times a day and create differentiated weather segments for broadcast
- Produce clean and informative graphics to tell the weather story
- Interact live with the audience on multiple platforms, especially during severe or disruptive weather
- Produce, shoot, write, and edit news stories and use engaging graphics
- Communicate and guide the content teams for aggressive, smart weather coverage when our consumers need it on all platforms
- Work in the field to show various elements of severe weather situations
- Make public appearances
- Perform other tasks as required by the chief and other news managers
- Bachelor of Science in Meteorology preferred
- Minimum of 2 years on-air experience is preferred, but will consider entry-level
- Demonstrated ability to provide accurate weather forecasts using the latest weather technology in a multi-platform environment
- Exceptional online and social media skills
- Must actively participate in social media, including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
- Knowledge of Barron necessary and knowledge of Edius a plus
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 63 television stations in 51 U.S. markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, digital and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA's OTT advertising service. For more information, visit URL blocked - click to apply.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information.