Soil Scientist - #19543453
At Golder, we thrive on challenges.
Golder is not just a place to work, it is a promise of a living, dynamic environment where people collaborate, innovate, build enduring relationships, excel, and grow professionally in a strong culture of ownership.
Do you have the desire to learn? The drive to excel and thrive in an engaged, collaborative environment?
Golder is seeking a Soil Scientist to join our Albuquerque, New Mexico office. In this role, you will support soil and vegetation related projects and proposal efforts involving permitting, baseline studies, operational support, and reclamation/remediation projects with an emphasis on the mining industry in the western US. The work entails a variety of office-related and field activities.
Responsibilities of the role will include:
- Participate in a range of field programs, including the collection, handling, and shipment of samples of environmental media (e.g., soil, vegetation, groundwater) in compliance with regulatory guidance, characterize soils and mine wastes using standard methods, and oversight of reclamation activities
- Accurately document (e.g., field forms, field notebooks, daily reports) and verbally communicate site conditions, observations, and activities
- Perform office-based document research and data review, validation, interpretation, and analysis related to soils, terrestrial ecology, and mine closure
- Contribute to work plans and environmental monitoring reports including technical writing, compiling and analyzing field and laboratory data and summarizing results
- Provide support for mine reclamation and closure projects, focusing on soils and vegetation issues
- Bachelor's degree in Soil Science, Agronomy, Range Science, Ecological Restoration, or a related field
- Strong understanding of soil science especially soil-water dynamics and modeling, soil chemistry and fertility, erosion and geomorphology
- Practical experience in field methods to characterize, describe and classify soils
- Strong technical writing and verbal communication skills
- Ability to perform work in inclement weather conditions following OSHA requirements
- Ability to lift and transport a maximum of 50 pounds during the course of work
- Willingness to travel for field work as dictated by project demands up to 50% of the time
- Commitment to working safely and adhering to health and safety protocols
- Graduate degree or post-graduate level knowledge or experience of soil science or mine reclamation
- A strong quantitative background including experience with statistical analyses and environmental modeling (e.g., Hydrus, UNSAT-H, RUSLE, WEPP)
- Experience with quantitative vegetation sampling methods, plant identification, and wetland delineation
- Experience with data management tools (e.g., Excel, ArcCollector, EQuIS, Access, Python).
- Completed 40-hour OSHA HAZWOPER health and safety training and current, valid refresher course
- MSHA surface miner new miner training
Your benefits at Golder will include:
- Competitive benefits and remuneration packages
- Opportunity to deepen your expertise in a dynamic work environment;
- Innovative and collaborative multidisciplinary projects; and,
- On the job training, mentoring and coaching.
Renowned for technical excellence, Golder is a leading, global engineering and consulting firm with over a half century of successful service to its clients. With over 165 offices in over 40 countries, Golder's 7,000 professionals are driven by a passion to deliver results, offering unique specialized skills to address the ever-evolving challenges that earth, environment and energy present to clients across the infrastructure, mining, oil and gas, manufacturing and power sectors.
Equal Opportunity Employment Statement
Golder is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, genetic information, marital status, national origin, race, religion, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, individuals with disabilities or other characteristics protected by law. Golder is a background screening, drug-free workplace.