Special Event Host, Part-Time - #19543626
South Carolina Aquarium
This is a support position to the Special Events team, and will assist with hosting private and internal events while representing the building. The primary duty of this position is to service and host in-house and paid evening and weekend events. The secondary duty of this position is to assist with occasional office work and assist at yearly bridal shows.
- Act as Event Host during evening events. Oversee all aspects of each special event assigned from the arrival of the first vendor to the departure of the last. Main liaison with client, vendors, staff and volunteers on-site.
- Assist with monitoring all processes for quality assurance and excellent customer service.
- Assist with occasional Sales Office duties, such as mailings, data entry, and follow up-sales prospect activities.
- Develop familiarity with all aquarium exhibits, services and events in order to become an information resource to our guests
- Adhere to all Aquarium policies and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong grasp of the hospitality industry
- Excellent organizational and communications skills are essential
- Must be able to manage multiple tasks in a high-energy environment and pay meticulous attention to detail.
- Professional image and dress required
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule, including late nights and weekends, and some holidays
- Must be able to make win-win decisions under pressure
- Must be able to manage multiple tasks at one time
- Must be a team player and self-motivated
Education and Experience Required:
- Prefer an Associate's or Bachelor's degree with a hospitality focus. Degree-seeking students welcomed.
- Prefer two years hospitality or event planning experience.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
- Valid Driver's License
Supervision of others:
- Serves as the point person for After-Hours Staff, Vendors, and Volunteers.
Physical Requirements: Often requires walking, standing; Average bending, stooping, crouching, carrying up to 50 lb, sitting, kneeling, balancing,
Working Conditions: Often requires contact with the public, rotating shifts, contact with vendors, weekends and late nights, wearing a radio
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not construed to be an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by the personnel classified.
The Aquarium is an "at-will" employer, and as such, employment with the Aquarium is not for a fixed term, or definite period and may be terminated at the will of either party, with or without cause, and without prior notice.
Diversity Statement: Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC) and others who identify as nonwhite, people with disabilities, members of the LGBTQIA+ community, and those with lived experience with racism and/or misogynoir are encouraged to apply for this role.