HR Generalist - #19543825
Job Posting End Date: May 03
Unum is a company of people serving people. As one of the world's leading employee benefits providers and a Fortune 500 company, Unum's financial protection benefits help protect more than 36 million working people and their families from the financial impact of illness or injury. Unum's three distinct, but similarly focused US businesses – Unum US, Colonial Life, and Starmount Life – are each a market leader in making disability, life, accident, critical illness, dental, and vision insurance accessible in the workplace.
Headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Unum also has significant US operations in Portland, Maine, - and over 35 field offices nationwide. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina with over 40 field offices nationwide. Starmount Life is based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and is the dental and vision center of excellence for Unum in the US.
The Generalist role will play a key role in the success of the organization by offering guidance on HR best practices, talent management and employee engagement and inclusion. The role will be deeply involved at the front-line leader level. This role operates in support of an AVP, HRBP in helping to increase organizational reach and build capability at the manager and director levels. Daily duties will span across several areas of HR work (as outlined below) and will flex according to the needs of the business.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Facilitate Talent and Succession planning for Manager and Director levels. Also facilitate HIPO identification and development planning for select individual contributor roles
- Support tactical implementation of organizational change efforts including maintaining documentation as needed
- Engage in front-line manager/director coaching with emphasis on enhancing leadership effectiveness of front-line leaders
- Works closely with management and employees to improve work relationships, build morale, employee engagement, increase productivity and retention
- Support the HR department in implementing programs that improve the employee experience
- Provide consulting support to managers/directors regarding emerging performance management concerns (engage ERC when entering official Perf Mgmt process)
- Provide advice and guidance on complex HR Policies & Procedures with emphasis on effective implementation within business areas
- Facilitate year-end salary review processes
- Tactical support to HRBPs including conducting research, data analysis and building story decks and recommendations
- Conduct select exit interviews; analyzes turnover data and makes recommendations to management for corrective action and continuous improvement
- Lead and/or contribute to key talent initiatives
- May work across multiple business areas or in a dedicated area
- May perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in in business management/HR, or equivalent experience in a variety of HR aspects
- 5+ years Employee Relations and/or HR Generalist experience
- PHR Certification preferred
- Strong interpersonal skills and organizational savvy.
- Exhibits leadership courage and the ability to address challenging issues with stakeholders at all levels with candor.
- Relates well with people at all levels. Builds appropriate rapport, uses diplomacy and tact, and capable of diffusing high-tension situations comfortably. Able to handle sensitive and confidential situations.
- Strong verbal, written, and storytelling skills
- Customer focus: understands the needs and requirements of internal and external customers and delivers appropriate solutions
- Problem solving: uses rigorous logic and analytic discipline to solve difficult problems and identify viable solutions; looks beyond the obvious and is focused on best outcomes
- Self-starter; sets ambitious personal goals and standards; Results oriented
- Able to deal effectively with ambiguity and complexity; reacts quickly within a constantly changing environment. Asserts a 'can do' attitude
- Approaches work from an agile mindset; results oriented. Able to manage, plan and prioritize own workload to achieve outcomes within specified timeframes. Able to effectively manage multiple, competing priorities
- Strong mindset for continuous improvement and innovation; demonstrates ability to take risks and consider new and untried approaches
- Desire to work as part of a team; holds self and others accountable for achieving desired outcomes
- Strong data management and computer software skills (Workday, Excel, Qualtrics, etc.)
Our company is built on helping individuals and families, and this starts with our employees. We want employees to maintain a positive balance, which is why we provide access to the benefits and resources they need to invest in themselves. From our onsite fitness facilities and generous paid time off to employee professional development programs, we are committed to helping employees live and work their best – both inside and outside the office.
Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person's race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.