Sr Database Engineer - #19543885
The California Independent System Operator (ISO) manages the flow of electricity across the high-voltage, long-distance power lines that make up 80 percent of California's power grid. We safeguard the economy and well-being of 30 million Californians by operating the grid reliably 24/7.
As the impartial grid operator, the California ISO opens access to the wholesale power market that is designed to diversify resources and lower prices. It also grants equal access to 25,865 circuit-miles of power lines and reduces barriers to diverse resources competing to bring power to customers.
The California ISO's function is often compared to that of air traffic controllers. It would be grossly unfair for air traffic controllers to represent one airline and profit from allowing that company's planes to go through before others. In the same way, the California ISO operates independently—managing the electron traffic on a power grid we do not own—making sure electricity is safely delivered to utilities and consumers on time and reliably.
Under the general direction of Manager, maintains the integrity of enterprise-wide databases and associated applications. Integrates, customizes, tests databases and associated systems across a highly complex environment and redundant sites. Performs database and software lifecycle activities to ensure the highest level of systems performance and availability, and compliance with business requirements. Collaborates with the business unit personnel to analyze and resolve related issues in a time-critical environment. Participates in vendor management activities.
What's In it for You
Our purpose is to lead the way to tomorrow's energy network. Make a difference and impact millions of people who depend on electricity in their everyday lives.
- You get to work on interesting and challenging assignments that will help grow your skill set.
- You will work in an extremely collaborative environment inside our LEED certified Folsom, California campus.
- You will be challenged, be a part of a winning team, and your contributions will be rewarded and recognized.
What You Will Be Doing:
- Responsible for requirements analysis, development, customization, integration, implementation and administration of various enterprise-wide databases and associated applications. Develops, customizes, integrates, installs and configures databases and infrastructure supporting systems to ensure highest level of availability, performance and security for specific project initiatives. In response to incidents, exercising their independent judgement to create an effective solution, workaround, and strategies to quickly resolve the issue to minimize the impact to the reliability to the power grid and market. With minimum supervision, participates and lead technical teams, acting on own authority, establishing the working groups, to establish the short and long term solutions and plans, to prevent impacts to services, needed to run power grid reliability
- Collaborates with various business units to analyze, develop and implement solutions to database requirements, and works to ensure the highest level of systems performance and availability, and to ensure compliance with business requirements, standards and service agreements. Collaborates with team members to analyze and resolve complex technical issues related to integrated databases technologies, hardware, software and other supported systems. Works with representatives from various ISO business units, project teams and Architectures to design technology solutions and strategies that meet business requirements. Acts as department technical advisor to other business units as required. Responds to incidents and resolution of systems failures and root cause analysis.
- Plans and evaluates the impact of database, software modifications and systems maintenance.
- Analyzes outage and change management requests, and works to ensure that service level agreements are met. Creates documentation, standards, and procedures to ensure a high level of systems performance, and to facilitate cross-utilization of DBA resources. Collects and distributes data for supported systems capacity planning and performance management. Proactively identify issues, create workable solutions and provide recommendation to management.
- May provide guidance and set priorities for the day-to-day work activities of other database engineers.
- Assists with vendor management activities as needed, and may act as main point-of-contact to vendors and internal staff on associated issues.
Level of Education and Discipline
- A Bachelor's degree (BA, BS) or equivalent education, training or experience in Computer Science, Engineering or related field.
- Master Degree preferred.
Amount of Experience
- Equivalent years of education and training, plus five (5) or more years related experience.
- Oracle DBA Certification preferred.
Type of Experience
- Oracle database administration as a developer and administrator required. Familiarity with ISO's Energy Management System helpful. Experience working in a Corporate information technology, database engineering and administration environment. IT database development, security and administration required. Proven ability to troubleshoot errors and determine their sources (OS, hardware, software, etc). Extensive systems knowledge working in a highly advanced and highly complex environment so as to be able to make recommendations on the evolution of technology within a 1 to 3 year time horizon.
- Oracle database administration, configuration, troubleshooting, upgrades, backups, space management, performance tuning, security in a UNIX/Linux OS environment required
- Extensive systems knowledge working in a highly advanced, highly complex and highly critical corporate information technology, database engineering and administration environment
- Ability to make recommendations on the evolution of technology within a 1 to 3 year time horizon
- Ability to help corporate customers in a constructive, goal based and collaborative manner
- Experience with ISO's market and Energy Management System very helpful
- Experience in shell scripting, PL/SQL and database design desirable
- Experience with SQL Server Administration required.
- Experience with TOAD required.
- Experience with Cassandra Administration very desirable
- Experience with Postgres Administration very desirable
- Experience in any of the following development languages helpful
Additional skills and abilities
- Must be able to work effectively in a team environment as facilitator and team member.
- Excellent analytical, verbal and written communication and documentation skills required, with a demonstrated attention to detail.
- Ability to use deductive reasoning and analytical thinking with sound judgment and decision-making skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and conflict resolution skills are also essential.
- Must be self-starting and willing and able to work independently in a dynamic corporate organization under pressure of tight deadlines and aggressive expectations.
- Self-motivated, problem solving skills and the ability to influence others without direct authority.
- Extensive system knowledge working in a highly advanced and highly complex environment so as to able to make recommendations on the evolution of technology within a 1 to 3 year time horizon.
- In-depth knowledge of relevant commonly-used concepts, best practices and procedures strongly desired.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.