Natural Resources Specialist - #19543903
Department Of Agriculture
The Recent Graduates Program affords developmental experiences in the Federal Government intended to promote possible careers in the civil service to individuals who have recently graduated from qualifying educational institutions or programs. Current students who are scheduled to graduate within nine months may also apply to these positions. However, these students cannot be appointed until after graduation and the official degree has been awarded and conferred.
Learn more about this agency
- As a trainee, performs duties which are designed to orient the employee in the application of academic theories and basic natural resources principles to a variety of work situations
- Assignments may be similar to those assigned to nonprofessional employees, but such tasks are primarily for training purposes, or to relieve higher grade specialists of routine work.
- Receives formal and on-the-job instructions and training to familiarize functions and operations of the organization and to provide experience in the practical application of natural resources principles, theories, methods, techniques and practices.
- Inspects recreation sites and assists with the development of a wide range of recreation and trail plans and permits.
- Participates in the development of environmental assessments and/or impact statements to formulate natural resource management recommendations and/or conclusions.
- Applies geospatial technology to work performed in support of a natural resource management organization.
- Collects and analyzes biological data pertaining to natural resources and environmental program activities.
- Performs assigned phases of fire management, including serving as a member of a fire suppression crew.
- Participates in assigned phases of unit administration such as budgeting and personnel management.
- Drafts, reviews, and publishes natural resource plans, reports, compliance documents, evaluations and inspections.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
- Job family (Series)
0401 General Natural Resources Management And Biological Sciences
Conditions of Employment
- Must be at least 16 years of age and meet education requirements.
- Must be suitable for Federal employment as determined by a background investigation.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or National or be lawfully permitted to the U.S. as a permanent resident or otherwise authorized to be employed.
- Per Public Law 104-134 all Federal employees are required to have federal payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
- Successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify/.
- The incumbents of Recent Graduate positions may be reassigned/relocated to any geographical location where the employee's services are needed as determined by management. Mobility agreement may be required.
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service.
- May be required to successfully complete a probationary/trial period.
- A signed participant agreement is required for employment under Pathways.
- This may be a bargaining unit position represented by the National Federation of Federal Employees, IAMAW.
You are required to meet the eligibility requirements of the Recent Graduate program, as described below in order to be considered for this position. You must meet all the eligibility and qualification requirements by the closing date of the announcement. For more information on the qualifications for this position, go to: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/#url=GS-PROF. The minimum qualification requirements for each grade level of this vacancy announcement are described below:
RECENT GRADUATES PROGRAM ELIGIBILITY
To be eligible, you must meet one of the following requirements:
Completed all requirements for an associates, bachelors, masters, professional, doctorate, vocational, or technical degree or certificate from a qualifying educational institution within the previous two years; OR
If you are a current student who is in the process of completing your degree, academic documentation must accompany your application package to validate your upcoming graduation date (you must complete all degree requirements within nine months of the application closing date to be considered a Recent Graduate); OR
Due to military service obligation, you were precluded from applying to the Recent Graduate Program during any portion of the two-year eligibility period described above. This eligibility period cannot extend more than six years from the date on which the requirement for the academic degree or certificate was received.
You must possess the qualifications requirements identified below to be considered qualified for this position. Your application or resume must clearly show that you possess the experience requirements. Transcripts must be provided for qualifications based on education. Provide course descriptions as necessary.
Basic Qualification Requirements for the GS-05 and GS-07:
Degree: biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry, or related disciplines appropriate to the position.
Combination of education and experience: Courses equivalent to a major, as shown above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
In addition to the requirements described above, the following additional education and/or experience are required for the grade(s) specified.
Specialized Experience Requirement:
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
For the GS-07: You must have one year specialized experience equivalent to the GS-05 grade level; OR, one full year of graduate level education; OR, an appropriate combination of graduate level education and specialized experience; OR, Superior Academic Achievement (to determine if you are eligible, go to: http://www.opm.gov/qualifications/policy/ApplicationOfStds-04.asp). The education must have been obtained in an accredited college or university and demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to do the work.
Examples of specialized experience are: Performing a variety of computations to prepare and summarize standard biological and/or geographical data for charts, graphs, and/or reports; assisting experienced natural resources specialists and biological scientists with studies, such as following a procedural guidebook in performing experiments, inspections, or evaluations while under direct supervision; preparing or assisting with the preparation of documents and visual aids such as data tables, slides, posters, brochures, progress reports, summaries of field or laboratory work, or drafting portions of manuscripts; and participating in operational or planning meetings to discuss environmental program or project milestones or activities.
Please note that Superior Academic Achievement can only be applied if you have graduated or completed (or expect to complete within 9 months) all the requirements for a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university and demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to do the work.
Education completed in foreign colleges and universities may be used if it has been accredited or evaluated by an organization recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Note regarding certificate programs: A certificate program is defined as a post-secondary education, in a qualifying education institution, equivalent to at least one academic year of full-time study that is part of an accredited college-level, technical, trade, vocational, or business school curriculum. While recently graduating from a certificate program may afford you Recent Graduate Program eligibility, it may not be sufficient in terms of qualification standards for the series and/or the grade level.
This position has a positive education requirement, as outlined above under basic qualifications. The term positive education requirement refers to an Office of Personnel Management (OPM) determination that the duties of a scientific, technical, or professional position cannot be performed by an individual that does not have the prescribed minimum education. For additional information on the qualification
standards for the 0401 series, visit the OPM Qualifications Standard found at: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/0400/general-natural-resources-management-and-biological-sciences-series-0401/.
These positions are located in the following locations: BU=Eligible; NON-BU= Non Bargaining Unit:
Positions in the following locations are BU eligible: Location Negotiable for positions located in Oregon or Washington. For additional information about the duties of these positions please contact Chris Highfield at email William.Highfield@usda.gov or Julia Gower at email email@example.com.
Positions in the following locations are NON-BU eligible: Cody, WY, Minturn, CO, andLocation Negotiable for positions located in Missouri.
For additional information about the duties of these positions please contact:Crosby Davidson at firstname.lastname@example.org for Cody, WY.Paula Peterson at email@example.com for Minturn, CO.Steve Beem at firstname.lastname@example.org for the positions located in Missouri.
Selecting the "Location Negotiable after Selection" option when selecting your preferred duty locations, implies your willingness to accept positions in any duty location or surrounding area on the announcement that you may not have listed as a preferred location. Selecting this duty location is encouraged as it increases your chances of receiving an offer.
Please Note: This vacancy announcement will stop accepting applications at 11:59 pm of the first day that 150 applications are received or at 11:59 pm of the closing date, whichever comes first. You are encouraged to apply as early as possible.
This position is being concurrently announced under Merit Promotion procedures as announcement number 21-NCH-MRS-401-57-FS. Current federal employees may apply to both announcements. This position may be filled at the GS-05 or GS-07 grade level with promotion potential to the GS-09.