Mental Health Specialist, Marshall I. Pickens, Full Time, Evenings - #19543989
Inspire health. Serve with compassion. Be the difference.
Performs direct patient care duties as assigned or delegated by the Charge Nurse to meet the physical, social, emotional, and behavioral needs of the psychiatric and/or chemically dependent patient. Delivers care to patients (voluntary and involuntary) of all ages and demonstrates knowledge of population-specific developmental tasks gained through training and experience. As delegated, performs basic nursing activities and additional clinical responsibilities as appropriate and necessary for patient population served.
- Attends to mentally ill and/or chemically dependent patients with active and reflective listening, demonstrating a caring and therapeutic manner. Provides individualized care to both voluntary and involuntary patients in a manner that considers age-appropriateness, safety, comfort, and the therapeutic environment. Interacts and assesses assigned patients for level of functioning and mental status. 25%
- Actively observes, collects, and communicates relevant patient information and communicates this verbally and via the medical record to other treatment team members. Provides timely documentation in the medical record on assigned patients in legible, accurate and appropriate format following hospital and unit procedures. 15%
- Monitors patients level of distress, anxiety, and/or agitation to reduce or prevent incidents. Responds to patient crisis and/or codes via utilization of de-escalation and de-stimulation techniques. Has routine encounters/interactions with patients that are in crisis or at high risk for self-harm or other destructive behavior. 10%
- Attends and/or facilitates therapeutic groups and psycho-educational programs. Utilizes a variety of psycho-therapeutic techniques, demonstrating knowledge of mental health principles and practices. 10%
- Upholds patient confidentiality at all times, using exceptional judgment to ensure patient privacy and dignity. 10%
- Establishes positive relationships with team members and practices effective communication. Is aware of own communication style and stress response. Provides excellent customer service to patients, physicians, and other staff members by responding promptly and appropriately to inquiries and requests. 10%
- Participates in the development, implementation, and evaluation of patient treatment programs. Provides input and suggestions for improvement in unit and facility processes. Maintains established departmental policies and procedures, objectives, quality assurance program, safety, environmental and infection control standards. 5%
- Informs Charge Nurse or direct supervisor of any activities, issues, concerns that may impact patient safety or the therapeutic milieu. 5%
- Collects and documents vital signs, weighs patients, and collects routine urine specimens, clean catch urine specimens, stool specimens, and sputum specimens, and other duties as assigned or requested. Performs point of care testing as trained and delegated by RN. Properly documents and maintains data on medical record and informs RN of activities performed. 5%
- Attends staff meetings regularly, participates in annual in-services and mandatory educational experiences. Keeps abreast of current psychiatric issues and methods. 5%
This is a non-management job that will report to a supervisor, manager, director or executive.
High School diploma or equivalent
No previous experience
Other Required Experience
Acute Inpatient Hospital Care or Long Term Care experience - Preferred
Evening (United States of America)
Marshall Pickens Hospital
1007 Marshall I Pickens Hospital
10076115 Geriatric Program
Share your talent with us! Our vision is simple: to transform healthcare for the benefits of the communities we serve. The transformation of healthcare requires talented individuals in every role here at Prisma Health.