Dental Hygienist - 80% - Clinic Administration, College of Dentistry - #19544018
University of Iowa
Performs educational, therapeutic, preventive and diagnostic dental hygiene procedures delegated by and under the supervision of a licensed/permitted dentist.
- Perform preventive oral prophylaxis for patients by removing plaque, calculus, stains from exposed and unexposed surfaces of teeth by scaling and polishing teeth.
- Performs therapeutic peridontal scaling and root planing procedures by removing plaque, calculus and stain from root surfaces.
- Apply fluoride to teeth to aid in the prevention of cavities.
- Review and update medical and dental health histories.
- Perform oral inspection including oral cancer screening.
- Record dental and periodontal findings; test pulp vitality; analyze dietary surverys.
- Make digital dental radiographs
- Record present oral conditions and extent of hygiene treatment on electronic dental chart to provide dentist with information for diagnosis and subsequent treatment when needed.
- Advise and instruct patients on proper care of teeth and gums, proper diet for good dental health and the impact of tobacco use on oral health.
- Follow all OSHA protocol.
- Maintain license in Dental Hygiene as a result maintain a knowledge of advances in the profession.
- Maintain CPR certification.
- Educate patients about Collegiate Recall System and restorative dentistry to increase patient awareness of value of service they receive
- Educate pre-doctoral and dental students regarding the dental hygienist's role in the dental healthcare team.
- Demonstrates extensive knowledge of esthetic procedures to include tooth whitening and the periodic maintenance of esthetic restorations.
- Perform other miscellaneous tasks as assigned by the dentist.
- Maintain effective working relationships with faculty, staff, students and the public.
- Proficient in electronic health record systems.
80% Dental Hygienist – PD45 (SEIU)
College of Dentistry - (Iowa City, IA)
Salary: $50,979 to commensurate (SEIU Pay Grade: 06)
Schedule: Percentage of time and hours of work to be determined, though will fall within Monday-Friday, 8 – 5:00pm; may require occasional overtime.
Successful candidate will be subject to a criminal background check.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of 14 calendar days. This job may be removed from posting and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended. For questions or additional information, please contact CofDRequisitions@uiowa.edu.
- Bachelor of Science degree with an emphasis in Dental Hygiene or equivalent is required.
- License to practice dental hygiene in the State of Iowa is required.
- Hygienists administering local anesthesia must hold a current local anesthesia permit issued by the State of Iowa.
- Hygienists administering nitrous oxide must meet educational criteria in accordance with the rules of the Iowa Board of Dental Examiners.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required.
- Proficient working with electronic health records.
As part of the application process, please attach the following:
- cover letter,
- resume, and
- 3 names of professional reference.
- PLEASE INCLUDE ON YOUR RESUME, NUMBER OF HOURS/WEEK WORKED AT EACH EMPLOYER*
Applicant materials should clearly indicate qualifications for advertised position.
- Classification Title: Dental Hygienist
- Appointment Type: SEIU
- Schedule: Part-time
- Pay Level: 06
- Starting Salary Minimum: 50979
- Organization: College of Dentistry
- Contact Name: CofDRequisitions@uiowa.edu
- Contact Email: CofDRequisitions@uiowa.edu