Retail Helper (Part Time) - #19544150
Southern States Cooperative, Inc.
The Customer Service Associate is a part-time position that will perform cashiering, customer service, light housekeeping and general stocking.
Essential Job Functions
- Greets customers in a welcoming and professional manner. Utilizes customer-focused interpersonal skills which include, but is not limited to, smiling, making eye contact, providing undivided attention, assisting customers in locating items, acknowledging they will be assisted soon if waiting for another transaction and thanking each one for their business.
- Works safely as to not cause harm to self, customers, co-workers, equipment or inventory.
- Processes checkout/exchange/return transactions utilizing cash registers and credit/debit card terminals. Processes sale items, coupons and other discounts according to terms. Accurately handles cash and makes change. Maintains proper cash levels in register drawer. Bags items for customers. Refills register paper.
- Makes genuinely helpful recommendations to customers and identifies opportunities to sell additional merchandise or services.
- Answers incoming phone calls from customers in a professional and courteous manner. Provides information regarding order status, product availability, current sales, promotions and/or store events.
- Replenishes merchandise and faces products on shelves to ensure a neat and professional presentation according to store procedures.
- Monitors entrances and exits in an effort to promote store safety, security and to minimize merchandise loss. Escalates security concerns to store leadership.
- Performs daily housekeeping duties according to procedures to ensure a neat, clean and welcoming environment. This includes, but is not limited to, cleaning, sweeping, mopping, taking out the trash and dusting.
- May provide assistance with a variety of other functions to support the team.
- Performs all other job functions as assigned.
Education: Prefer high school diploma or GED but not required. Prefer additional coursework in agriculture, plant science, animal science or a related field.
Experience: Prefer 6 months of experience in a retail setting providing excellent customer service and operating point of sale equipment. Prefer experience in agribusiness or related field.
- Able to consistently demonstrate customer-focused interpersonal skills, communicate in a positive and professional manner
- Able to learn and consistently demonstrate knowledge of facility guidelines and standard operating procedures for handling cash and utilizing point of sale equipment
- Able to learn and effectively apply knowledge of a variety of store merchandise to correctly answer general customer questions and make recommendations
- Attention to detail to perform check-out, exchange and return transactions, handle cash accurately and maintain awareness of merchandise to reduce incidences of loss
- Ability to operate cash register and debit/credit card machine
- Ability to work defined work schedule, which may change from week to week, and to report to work on time is required
- Ability to work extended hours to meet business demands
- Reliable transportation
- Primarily performs essential job functions in a climate controlled environment. Occasionally works outdoors when assisting customers.
May be exposed to hazards including:
● Drafts, temperature changes and wet floors due to facility doors opening during adverse weather and the merchandising and care of plant material
● Merchandise, supplies and tools with sharp edges or containing hazardous materials
● Dust, odors, fumes and hazardous chemicals associated with sales and storage of dry and liquid fertilizers, crop protectants and other agricultural, residential, animal care and home care products
● Moving mechanical parts and vehicles, vibrations and electric current
● Noise levels where hearing protection is optional per PPE plan
Physical Activities & Requirements
While performing the essential job functions of this position, the following is required:
- Continuously stand, walk, bend, reach, finger and handle, use hands in repetitive motion, utilize eye/hand coordination
- Frequently turn and twist head/neck and back/waist
- Occasionally pull, push, lift, carry up to 50 pounds
Must be able to hear and speak to customers in a courteous, professional manner.
Tools & Equipment
Phone, Cash Register, Hand held scanners, Credit/Debit Machine, Mop, Broom, step ladder
Southern States Cooperative is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against individuals based on their race, color, religion or belief, national or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, family medical history or genetic information, or any other status protected by federal, state or local laws or regulations.