OR Core Technician 2 - #19544450
Northern Arizona Healthcare
The Surgical Core Technician, under the direction of Clinical Manager, Charge Nurse or RN, is responsible for turnover (cleaning) of the surgical rooms between cases in an efficient and sanitary manner with strict adherence to all IP standards, requirements and techniques. This position will be trained and competent to open/prepare/stock supplies and equipment for sterile interventions/procedures in the surgical department. The Surgical Core Technician will operate equipment and utilize supplies in general cleaning tasks. S/he will provide technical services as assigned and directed. The Surgical Core Technician will also assist in housekeeping duties in public and any other areas as designated by the facility, and may be assigned to assist with patient transport to and from surgical services, and other duties as assigned.
3pm to 9pm Schedule
Patient Care* Assist with transferring patients from OR bed to patient bed.
- Able to respond to emergency and crisis situations in a timely and professional manner. * Possess visual and hearing acuity, and/or the ability to assess, document and implement actions required to meet patient/family needs.
- Prioritizes and addresses technical needs to meet needs of department.
- Able to assist and relate to and work with ill and disabled patients of all ages, bilingual patients, emotionally distressed patients and families and with hospital personnel within the facility.
- Able to cope with varying and unpredictable situations tactfully with personnel, patients, family members, visitors, and the general public.
Equipment and Inventory Management* Assists with the setting up of operating room beds for cases, ie. Hana, Skytron, Beach Chair, Mayfield.
- Returns case carts/instruments to SPD for processing at end of cases.
- Knowledge of OR case systems, patient related supplies, materials, and equipment. Anticipates and resolves supply related problems.
- Places surgical instruments and power equipment sets in proper storage locations. Performs inventory to maintain an adequate backup stock of single instruments in the sterile supply room.
- Appropriately handles and maintains equipment and supplies.
- Demonstrates knowledge in use of department medical equipment; refers to unit specific competency summation. * Cleans and reassembles equipment.
- Provides equipment troubleshooting skills.
Cleaning/Maintenance* Provides daily cleaning of operating room suites, turnovers, OR core, sterile instrument rooms and general work areas within the surgery department adhering to strict IP standards, requirements and techniques.
- During turnovers, assists with making beds, changing trash bags, changing anesthesia circuits, and restocking anesthesia supplies as needed.
- Monitors Teletrac, ORC system for room turnovers, discharges and performs tasks which include, but are not limited to: remove all equipment including linen, clean and disinfect entire bed, make bed, and wipe down equipment in room.
- Receive instruction from Charge Nurse for infectious patients where the room will need terminal cleaned. Speed is essential when performing these tasks.* Cleans glass, monitors, and screens of equipment with appropriate cleaning agents to avoid streaking.
- Able to appropriately request repair of maintenance for observed malfunction or broken equipment.
- Able to restock, organize, and maintain cleanliness of carts/closets according to department procedure, including linens and garbage bags in areas designated by the facility.
- Follows department procedure and notifies Supervisor when supplies are low, supplies cause physical problems, supplies are not performing adequately. Stocks fluids in warmers in the Surgical Services; stocks blankets and snaps gowns as needed.
Communication and Documentation* Provides a change of shift report to relief technician. Reports any problems (actual or potential) to the charge nurse, including missing or damaged items, or any other pertinent information from the surgeons or OR staff.
- Communicates needs appropriately with RN, OR Tech, or Supervisor/Manager.
- Must have effective organizational skills and strict adherence to IP standards of practice.
- Communicates to the Charge Nurse when going on breaks/lunch and at end of shift prior to leaving to ensure coverage for the OR.
Compliance/Safety* Responsible for reporting any safety-related incident in a timely fashion through the Midas/RDE tool; attends all safety-related training programs; performs work in a safe manner; monitors work environment for possible safety issues and ensures others are also performing work in a safe manner.
- Follows guidelines for safety with regards to contact precautions and all policies/procedures dealing with blood borne pathogens.
- Adheres to regulatory and organizational standards affecting patient care and safety as well as all hospital and departmental policies and procedures. Practices in a safe and cost-effective manner.
- Stays current and complies with state and federal regulations/statutes and company policies that impact the employee's area of responsibility.
- If required for the position, ensures all certifications and/or licenses are up-to-date and valid prior to expiration dates. * Completes all company mandatory modules and required job-specific training in the specified time frame.
High School Diploma or GED- Required
Certification & Licensures
BLS (American Heart Association)- Required within 3 month introductory period
CSCT certification- Required within 6 months of hire (FMC)
Certification/registration in Sterile Processing Distribution- Preferred
SPD Tech 2 status- Preferred
Healthcare is a rapidly changing environment and technology is integrated into almost all aspects of patient care. Computers and other electronic devices are utilized across the organization and throughout each department. Colleagues must have an understanding of computers, and competence in using computers and basic software programs.
Call Required: Required within 20 minutes