Design Leader, Plastics - #19544455
Indefinite U.S. work authorized required for employment. No Visa Sponsorship is available now or anytime in the future for this position.
SEGULA TECHNOLOGIES is hiring a Design Leader, Plastics to join our growing team in Romulus, Michigan.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits plan, and great opportunities for career growth!
With a global presence in 28 countries with 140 offices worldwide, SEGULA GROUP fosters a close relationship with its customers thanks to the expertise of its 11,000 employees.
SEGULA TECHNOLOGIES is an Engineering and Design Services company with a proven ability to boost innovation and competitiveness within the major industrial sectors, including Automotive, Aerospace & Defense, Energy, Rail, Naval, Pharmaceutical, and Oil and Gas.
The Design Leader ensures product design and architecture to meet the customer quality requirements (including weight, recycling, specifications), PO manufacturing requirements (Design For Manufacturing), as well as all costs and timing expectations. Manages functionally the CAD resources to fulfill the design and ensures PO Design Standard are implemented (PODS and Technical Solutions).
- Manages the daily technical flow of information with CAD office and the Tier 2 suppliers according to the PO standard.
- Gets from customer all technical elements necessary for the design (gap and flushness requirements, surrounding parts, interfaces, etc.
- Looks for solutions and suggests technical proposals to EPM for project decision, respecting existing documents in PO network (design standards, PODS, lessons learned, benchmark reports, etc.).
- Realizes and pilots the design of parts and products analyses the feasibility (styling surface, parting lines, aspect, injection, demolding, painting, assembly, packaging, perceived quality, recycling, etc.) with regards to functional specifications from customer.
- Checks and validates the quality of the CAD files received from customer, suppliers, and design offices.
- Ensures the regular update of the 3D data, 2D drawings, and parts attributes within the PO CAD file database (TDM).
- Checks and suggests the reference systems of the parts, semi-finished products, and products, and updates it during the project.
- Builds the geometry file with stack-ups and tolerances, ensures the validation by the Geometry Engineer. Updates this folder during the project life.
- Liaises with the toolmaker together with the Injection & Tooling Engineer to optimize the design of parts (according to tool feasibility).
- Before the tool kick-off, defines and formalizes with EPM and the Injection & Tool Engineer the tuning zone areas to be considered for tool realization.
- Follows the realization of 2D / 3D drawings of the internal parts and assembly regarding to the project requirements. Validates technically these drawings before submission to the project for validation before provided to customer.
- For POE parts designed by the Tier 2 suppliers:
- Provides to the supplier all 3D data needed, gap and flushness requirements, and functional specifications.
- Analyzes the planning of the design of the supplier and checks that it is compatible with his own activities.
- Participates in the validation of the datum scheme, the tolerance stack-ups, and measuring points.
- Checks and validates the 3D design and gives feedback to the supplier and to the EPM.
- Validates the 2D / 3D drawings of the supplier.
- For POE parts designed by POAE:
- Provides the 3D data, functional specifications, and gap and flushness to the supplier to validate process feasibility.
- Updates the 3D data if needed.
- Provides the 2D / 3D drawings to the supplier.
- Proposes and leads the Design Reviews on his project.
- Executes the actions decided during the design reviews and updates regularly the action plan.
- Considers the perimeter changes after written validation from the EPM.
- Manages the CAD file exchanges with the customer respecting internal standards and customer specifications.
- Participates in the study and means validation of the checking fixture and uses checking fixture for product fine tuning.
- During the tuning phase:
- Validates the 2D / 3D drawings of the supplier.
- Can participate to tool trials.
- Can manage the manufacturing of samples for the customer and the process validation.
- Can participate to the cubing events at the customer.
- Analyzes and suggests modifications on the parts and products to meet the requirements (by taking also into account the feedback from other team members).
- Updates or pilot the updates of the CAD data according to modifications validated by the project.
- Reports to the EPM the status of the Design Reviews and related actions, the CAD data timing plan, and action plan.
- Capitalizes and formalizes the lessons learned of the design during all the project life.
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering is required. Equivalent experience may be considered.
- Strong knowledge of plastic rules (Shrinkage analysis, Demolding, etc.).
- Extensive previous experience as a CAD Engineer, Mold Engineer, or Plastic Parts Design Engineer.
- Understanding of basic mechanical rules.
- Ability to define an isostatic system and to build stack up folders, as well as build and check products within the CAD software system.
- Ability to lead all 2D and 3D CAD activities.
- Strong verbal and written English communication skills.
- Candidates must be able to start within 3 weeks of acceptance date.
- Will be required to travel domestically and internationally up to 20%