General Surgery - Medical Assistant - #19544465
Sparrow Health System
Positions Location: Lansing, MI
General Purpose of Job:
Responsible for the efficient and effective processing of patients through the clerical and clinical areas of the practice/clinic. Assists providers in providing high quality, compassionate patient care.
This job description is intended to cover the minimum essential duties assigned on a regular basis. Associates may be asked to perform additional duties as assigned by their leader. Leadership has the right to alter or modify the duties of the position.
- Prepares patient for examination. Obtains vital signs and chief complaint. Appropriately documents information obtained.
- Performs laboratory and diagnostic testing.
- Answers, screens and triages telephone calls. Takes accurate messages and distributes to the appropriate personnel within the guidelines of the practice.
- Schedules tests and referral appointments for patients.
- Administers oral and injectable medication. Phones prescriptions to pharmacies.
- Engages and helps promote patient/family teaching as appropriate; and provides an educational environment for patients and patient families.
- Works gaps in care regestries to help improve the qualtiy of care.
- Maintains all logs and required checks (i.e., refrigerator temps, medications, oxygen, etc.)
- Maintains practice standards by participating in in-services, committees, etc. May assist in developing and implementing quality control and practice policies.
- Inventories, orders and restocks areas as necessary.
- Maintains and cleans equipment and environmental safety as required.
Ability to provide clerical services and clinical services as required to maintain an efective practice flow. Cross trained to work both clerically and clinically.
General Requirements MA Certification preferred Work Experience Clinical experience within the past 5 years; if no clinical experience, completion of training in past two years. Six months work experience in medical office setting preferred Experience with an EMR preferred Education High School Diploma, (2) GED or (3) the successful completion of twelve grades combined with the continued enrollment in an Early College Program. Successfully complete a Medical Assistant program, including externship. Specialized Knowledge and Skills Ability to provide care for patients, which is age specific to their physical and safety needs, psychosocial concerns and educational level. Necessary visual and auditory acuity required to monitor patient's condition and operate department equipment Demonstrates a positive team attitude and has interpersonal skills to effectively and appropriately communicate with clients, their families, providers and co-workers. Ability to work in an EMR environment
Sparrow Health System is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Activation Date: Tuesday, April 6, 2021
Expiration Date: Sunday, August 1, 2021