Cytotechnologist - #19544495
Job Details Under the direct supervision of the Director, Clinical Laboratory, the Cytotechnologist is responsible for assisting the pathologist with collection of specimens and performing various cytologic procedures.
- Under the general direction of a pathologist, determines final microscopic diagnosis on gynecologic cell samples which are within normal limits and gives the preliminary microscopic diagnosis on abnormal gynecologic and all nongynecologic cell samples.
- Receives specimens, verifies accompanying data and assigns unique identification number to be used.
- Assists the pathologist, radiologist, or physician in collection of cytology specimens and may evaluate adequacy of specimens for testing.
- Prepares and processes specimens and slides in accordance with established procedures.
- Validates test results using existing quality control standards and instrumentation function checks.
- Performs and documents quality control checks.
- Assists with training of new employees and students.
- Collects and compiles data for productivity reports.
- Attends educational activities to keep apprised of current techniques, policies and practices.
- Performs clerical duties appropriate to the testing; maintains clean and orderly work area.
- Has a complete understanding of and follows applicable policies, procedures and directives.
- Always shows an awareness of proper safety procedures
- Demonstrates a working knowledge and understanding of computer functions.
- Assists in compiling various data, statistics and reports.
- Assists others as required/permitted.
- Assumes responsibility for on-going continuing education and professional development as required by continued certification. Completes all mandatory inservices.
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's Degree in biologic science or Cytotechnology.
- Certification/registry from an accredited organization (ASCP).
Complexity of Work:
- Knowledge of standard specimen collection and processing techniques.
Personal Protective Equipment:
- Follows standard precautions using personal protective equipment as required