Practical Nurse - #19578191
Department of Veterans Affairs
The Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) functions as a member of the health care team. He/she will have the knowledge, skill and experience to carry out assignments involving treatments, diagnostic studies, and patient/family education. This population-specific care takes into consideration all physical, psychosocial, spiritual and cultural needs. He/she performs a wide variety of clinical nursing and supportive duties in Clinic and is flexible in adapting to work demands and numerous assignments.
Learn more about this agency
- Assumes the responsibility for patients, in accordance with TJC (Joint Commission)Standards and recommendations, with the RN ultimately responsible.
- Maintains a clean and safe environment.
- Provides patients and their families with respectful non-judgmental and confidential care.
- Demonstrates the ability to vary the order and sequence of assigned procedures based on the knowledge of the patient's condition.
- Interviews scheduled patients and accurately records data.
- Performs diagnostic support duties accurately and proficiently. These duties include, but are not limited to the taking of vital signs, screening patients, performing EKGs, obtaining specimens, vaccines injections, etc.
- Prepares, administers and documents prescribed medications according to nursing service policies and procedures.
- Instructs Specialty Clinic patients and their families in the action, administration and side effects of medications and the procedure for medication refills while utilizing available educational materials.
- Demonstrates the ability to determine when changes in patient's conditions are significant enough to notify the immediate supervisor for assistance in decision making and/or determining nursing care.
- Performs other related duties as needed or assigned to support the functions of the service.
Work Schedule: The work schedule will be determined based on the needs of the Medical Center. The Providence VA Healthcare System is an acute care facility operating 24 hours a day 7 days a week. While most tours of duty are scheduled during the day, the possibility of working evenings, nights and weekends does exist. Shift changes will be considered based on patient and facility needs.
Compressed/Flexible: Not available.
Telework: Not offered
Virtual: This is not a virtual position.
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not authorized.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
- Job family (Series)
0620 Practical Nurse
- Licensed Practical And Licensed Vocational Nurses
- Licensed Practical Nurses
- Licenses Vocational Nurses
Nurses, Licensed Practical
Conditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. Citizen to apply for this job
- Designated and/or random drug testing may be required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to a background/security investigation
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
- Selected applicants will need to complete a pre-employment physical
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- English language proficiency: Must be proficient in spoken and written English as required by 38 U.S.C. 7402(d) and 7407(d).
- Education: Must be a graduate of practical or vocational nursing approved by the appropriate State accrediting agency and/or the National League for Nursing at the time the program was completed by the applicant. (If selected valid transcripts will be required.)
- License: Must have a full, current, active and unrestricted license as a graduate licensed practical or vocational nurse in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States or District of Columbia. (Required document for complete application).
- Completion of at least 1 year of qualifying experience at the GS-5 level or equivalent, and fully meeting all performance requirements for the GS-5 LPN/LVN:
Applicants must meet all KSAO's or Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Others as detailed below:
- Technically proficient in initiating, performing and completing assigned duties in providing care to variable patient populations.
- Knowledge and ability to appropriately carry out assigned patient care based on the patients' conditions; to use judgment in selecting the appropriate order and sequence of procedures and treatments; and to accurately recognize, report and record relevant patient information. Completed work should need only a general review by a registered nurse (RN) or physician (MD/DO) for appropriateness and conformity with established policies/procedures.
- Ability to observe, identify and respond to the patient's needs for care, including medication, equipment-assisted care and patient/family education. In organizing and delivering care, the LPN/LVN recognizes and considers emotional, cultural, spiritual, socio-economic, and age-related factors.
- Prepares and administers prescribed medications (oral, topical, subcutaneous, intramuscular and/or intravenous) and performs treatments according to established policies/procedures. Observes for physical and/or emotional changes in patient's condition from prescribed medications/treatments, promptly and accurately documenting noted changes, and reporting any deviations from normal to RN or MD/DO.
- Knowledge and ability to recognize urgent or emergent patient care situations, seek assistance of the RN and/or MD/DO, and initiate appropriate emergency interventions as directed.
- Knowledge and understanding of human behavior, patient motivations and reactions to situations, and ability to appropriately utilize this knowledge in working effectively with patients, family members, and other staff.
- Establishes constructive relationships with individual patients and their families to elicit feelings and attitudes, and to promote positive relationships, communication and socialization skills. Fosters an environment of respect for individual patient and family rights to privacy and dignity in all aspects of care delivery. Effectively incorporates knowledge and understanding of established customer service standards in all interactions with patients, family members, and/or other internal/external customers.
- Knowledge and skill in performing support duties for complex diagnostic tests and/or specialized practices or procedures, which include preparing the patient, assisting in the diagnostic examination, preparing and handling specialized instruments or other specialized equipment, and monitoring the patient's condition before, during, and following the procedure. Serves as a preceptor in orienting, educating, and training less experienced LPNs/LVNs or NAs/HTs related to support duties for these more complex, specialized tests/procedures.
- Actively seeks out educational opportunities to enhance nursing knowledge and skills, sharing new knowledge gained with other staff to improve and advance nursing practice.
References: VA Handbook 5005/3, Part II, Appendix G-13 Licensed Practical or Vocational Nurse Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Physical Requirements: This position requires potentially long periods of continued walking, standing, stooping, sitting, bending, pulling, and pushing. Transferring patients and objects may be required. The incumbent may be exposed to infected patients and contaminated materials and may be required to don protective clothing in isolation situations or operative/invasive procedures.
IMPORTANT: A transcript must be submitted with your application if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
This job is expired. Please use the search form to find active jobs or submit your resume.