Dean of Students - #21038927
Rochester Academy Charter School
Rochester Academy Charter School (RACS) is currently seeking a Dean of Students for the Elementary level. The Dean will be a member of the leadership team who is responsible for student discipline. Working in conjunction with the Principal and Assistant Principals the Dean of Students will help students navigate the school environment by supporting students and parents to change behaviors that do not serve them. RACS students should be able to fully engage in academics and find joy in the school day.
RACS is a public charter school, primarily serving students from the city of Rochester. Over 90% of our students identify as an individual of color. We are a college preparatory school and use data to determine how best to foster student growth. RACS seeks to prepare all graduates for active citizenship.
Daily Responsibilities will include:
- Work with the leadership team to support a culturally responsive approach to student management
- Work independently and in conjunction with the team
- Frequent communication with families and community supports
- Work with students, staff members and families to develop and monitor behavior plans
- Respond to students in crisis with restorative and culturally responsive approaches to de- escalation
- Assist with attendance interventions to reduce chronic absenteeism for a small number of students.
- Maintain a frequent presence in hallways, classrooms and common spaces and develop relationships with students and staff.
- Act as a role model for our students.
- Belief that all students can learn and deserve a high quality education
- Commitment to restorative practices as a means to interact with all members of the learning community
- Ability to work independently and manage time efficiently
- Excellent communication skills
- Minimum two years experience working with students or family support or teaching in an urban or charter school setting
- Bachelor’s Degree is required
Compensation is based on experience, with a base salary of $50,000 for 10 months.
RACS offers full benefits to employees including New York State Teachers' Retirement, health and dental benefits. Enhanced benefits include life insurance and short term disability coverage at no cost to the employee.
At RACS we offer families a chance to decide the best course for their child’s educational journey. Join the cutting edge of school reform in Rochester! Apply today!
Applications are reviewed regularly, and fully completed packets will be reviewed first.